Menu

SC homeschoolers

jillian

So can you talk to me about homeschooling in SC? DD just turned 4 on the 20th of this month so we still have some time to decide which method we are going to do under SC law. What do you do? Do you do testing (I think there is an option that allows you to not test....I think it's through SCAIHS (??)) DD is probably going to be starting 1st grade work this summer (we school year round) and just wondering how that works with testing and such...especially if your younger kiddos works ahead of grade level (in one or more subject). I believe SC requires age 5 for officially documentation....with her birthday at the end of December do we have an extra year to make that documentation? I'm confused.

Schooling requirements start when your child turns 5 (although you can exempt kindergarten). That'd be the year your child is 5 years old by September 1.

So I believe you'd have 2 years still... if your daughter is 4 as of 12/11, then she'll be 4 as of 9/1/12 so no reporting required until she's 5 as of 9/1/13.

There are 3 options to homeschool in SC.

Option 1 - through the district. Don't.

Option 2 - through SCAIHS. They're based in Columbia, have a bookstore (small) and support. Not expensive for kindergarten (and can be a good option for kindergarten as you get started). Beyond K, they're costly per year and do have clear reporting requirements. They require testing in grades 3 and higher.

Option 3 - 3rd option groups. There are tons of these through the state. You don't have to live in the area that is your 3rd option association. You follow their requirements for reporting but still have to meet state laws: 180 days of school covering subjects of reading, writing, math, science, social studies. Testing is not required.

Carolina Homeschooler has a pretty good website with some additional info. The state dept website used to be better but isn't very clear anymore.

My son went to a private kindergarten although I did also do some research with SCAIHS then. I've been using 3rd option groups from 1st grade on. I used one group for 2 years and have switched to a different group. I have chosen to do testing on my own but it's not a requirement with any of the groups I've used.

Thank you!!!!!!!! I am concerned with the testing issue...not because I don't think she'll pass it but because I take issue with testing (standardized).

I had been dissuaded from option 3 only because I was only finding groups that seemed to be Protestant based and even then it was limited groups....I will check out Carolina Homeschooler...I'd rather not pay for SCAIHS after we get passed the K year.

Carolina Homeschooler gives some good info (not exhaustive, but generally fairly updated - certainly better than the state!)

I homeschool secularly.

I have used HEA (years 1 & 2) and PaceSC (years 3 & 4).

I like less to send in which is why I switched to PaceSC. It is a Christian organization, but I don't have to be to use them. There are some accountability groups I would not feel comfortable using.

I've looked at this group but haven't decided what I'll do next year (stay with PaceSC or switch). I may go with our support group's accountability association but I don't know.

I don't think which group you use will matter at all until you're dealing with high school stuff.

This is from a document I've prepared to give to friends who ask me about homeschooling in SC. If it's formatted strangely, I'll fix it when I get to a computer. I'm on my phone, copying and pasting right now.

Before I get into "homeschooling," let me mention that there is the option of a public online charter school.* This is NOT considered homeschooling and most home school support groups will not accept you as a member. I don't know much about this "school at home" option besides the fact that you are under the direction of a teacher and that you have no control over curriculum and little control over days/hours. However, you are provided with free curriculum and support, and that is a big plus to many people. The public school is in charge of your child's education with this option, you are just providing the day-to-day instruction and record-keeping. The providers for elementary ages are K12, Calvert, and Connections Academy. For older students, there is also Provost Academy and Palmetto State E-cadamy.

http://www.k12.com/scvcs/

http://southcarolinacalvertacademy.com/

http://www.connectionsacademy.com/south-carolina-school/home.aspx

http://www.sc.provostacademy.com/

http://www.psecademy.org/

Now, on to homeschooling.

In South Carolina, children ages 5 by September 1st through their 17th birthday must be schooled, although you may file a waiver with your school district to exempt your child from kindergarten. Homeschoolers must provide 180 days of instruction and teach the subjects of reading, writing, math, science, and social studies (and add composition and literature in grades 7-12). The homeschooling parent must have a GED or high school diploma. You can view more about the laws pertaining to homeschooling in South Carolina here: http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/South_Carolina.pdf

To legally home school in South Carolina you must join an accountability group. You have three options.

Option 1 is to home school through your local school district. Your school day must be at least 4.5 hours. You keep records of evaluations, a portfolio of the child's work, and progress reports. They test your child annually beginning in third grade. Many people are wary of this option because they would rather have as little contact with the school system as possible.

Option 2 is to join the South Carolina Association of Independent Home Schools (SCAIHS). They are the state-mandated accountability group. You keep your own records (portfolio of child's work and attendance) and provide them with what curricula you are using and two progress reports per year (which state what materials you have covered). Beginning in third grade, SCAIHS requires annual testing. There is no requirement on hours of school per day. They require that a parent provide at least 51% of instruction. SCAIHS is among the most expensive options because they do offer a lot of services (bookstore, curriculum advisors, transcripts, high school graduation, etc.) and they are the state-mandated group. We are currently with SCAIHS since it is much cheaper while the student is legally PK or K age, but are considering switching for next year. SCAIHS does require members to sign a "Statement of Faith." They regularly hold seminars for new or prospective homeschoolers at their office on Knox Abbott Drive. http://www.scaihs.org/

Option 3 is to join any "third option accountability group" that has at least 50 members. The differences between a third option group and SCAIHS are that some third option groups do not require annual testing or require signing a statement of faith, there is no required percentage on parental involvement, and most are much less expensive. Other requirements are the same. The accountability group you join does NOT need to be nearby. The South Carolina Home Educators Association (SCHEA) has a partial listing of 3rd Option groups at: http://www.schomeeducatorsassociation.org/accountability.php (Browse around the SCHEA website for more information about homeschooling in SC).

The main secular 3rd option accountability groups I've seen listed by homeschoolers in our groups are:

Alliance Homeschool Accountability Association (based in Lexington) http://alliancehomeschool.org/

Homeward Education Association (based in Sumter) http://www.homewarded.com/

Insights on Education (based in Greenville) https://insightsoneducation.org/

Palmetto Independent Educators (based in Aiken) http://www.homeschoolingwithpie.org/

Palmetto Homeschool Association (based in Rock Hill) http://www.palmettoha.org/

Palmetto State Association of Homeschools (based in Gaffney) http://palmettostate.org/

REACH the TOP (based in Columbia) http://www.reachgroup.org/rtt_public.html

The main Christian 3rd option accountability groups I've seen are:

CHASE SC (based in Summerville) http://members.tripod.com/chase_sc/index.htm

Grace Homeschool Association (based in Florence) http://www.gracehomeschools.org/

PACESC (based in Moncks Corner) http://www.pacesc.com/

Also, I'd caution you to not report her as grades ahead of her age at this point. If she's ahead academically and maturity-wise when she's older, and you want her to graduate young, she can do so once she's completed the credits. But to call her a first grader just because she's doing first grade work when she's still preschool-aged puts her in an awkward position. You can always "skip" grades later, but it'll be tougher to tell her that she's going to be called an 8th grader for two years because you don't want her going to college at 16 (or younger) or because she slows down going into higher level work. And if she does do testing, she'll have a big advantage working two grade levels ahead (she'd test according to grade, not the level of her work).

We are currently deciding what to do about this. DS is registered with SCAIHS as kindergarten because it's cheaper and we could. But, he considers himself first grade. His peers are all first graders, he'll be in the yearbook as first grade, he joined tiger cubs this year. I didn't have any problem doing this as there are at least a dozen states where he would be first grade, he's only a month younger than I was and I was very prepared academically/for college, etc. What's made me stop and think is that if we "hold him back" (call him what SC would call him), he would be at an advantage in PSAT/SAT testing since he'd have another year of education than most, and the fact that he is high functioning autistic and DH doesn't know if he wants him able to leave home that early. So, we don't know what we'll register him as next year. We were planning on registering as second grade next year, but we might just move on academically while calling it another first grade year.

i just moved from SC in july. it is a cinch to homeschool there. i was a 3rd option homeschooler & it is definitely the least invasive - there's no testing whatsoever. i simply kept records and a portfolio, but no one ever looked that. my homeschool association wasn't religiously affiliated at all (totally different than homeschool group), and honestly, the few others i considered weren't religiously affiliated either. i used palmetto, but there are a ton. basically, you just pay a fee so that you're legal, and i also had to submit and mid-year and end-year progress report. at home, i kept records of attendance and our daily schooling, but again, i didn't ever share that information. be sure to sign up for discovery streaming too! it's free to homeschoolers in the state of SC. i really miss that!! have fun!:)

Before I get into "homeschooling," let me mention that there is the option of a public online charter school.* This is NOT considered homeschooling and most home school support groups will not accept you as a member.

my daughter did connections for half of first grade & this was not my experience at all. our homeschool group could have cared less what curriculum we used. i was part of the fort mill group & they were all fabulous. we left connections because we didn't like it, but in homeschool situations it never even came up in topic honestly.

Oh yeah, I definitely plan on keeping her as far as others know at what grade she'd be at if she was in regular school. I.E. she'll be in K-4 this upcoming school year regardless of the level of work we are doing.

We will be moving on to mostly 1st work in July (we end first week in June and will break until just after the 4th of July) but I'm calling her K-4 for all intents and purposes except to family who know what's really going on in our family--for example grandparents.

Kathryn--thank you that was helpful. I will check out those links. The South Carolina Homeschool Accountability Association looks to good to be true. Reasonably priced, and no testing, the transcripts. I will check it out with dh and let him help me figure it out. I think once she turns 5 we will register regardless of what level work she's doing and/or even the fact that she'll be 5 in December. I appreciate all the help!!! Thank you so so much. At least the TSCHAA will make my accountability requirements nice and understandable.

i just moved from SC in july. it is a cinch to homeschool there. i was a 3rd option homeschooler & it is definitely the least invasive - there's no testing whatsoever. i simply kept records and a portfolio, but no one ever looked that. my homeschool association wasn't religiously affiliated at all (totally different than homeschool group), and honestly, the few others i considered weren't religiously affiliated either. i used palmetto, but there are a ton. basically, you just pay a fee so that you're legal, and i also had to submit and mid-year and end-year progress report. at home, i kept records of attendance and our daily schooling, but again, i didn't ever share that information. be sure to sign up for discovery streaming too! it's free to homeschoolers in the state of SC. i really miss that!! have fun!:)

What is Discovery Streaming?

What is Discovery Streaming?

oh, it's awesome. there are a TON of educational videos, and it really can be used in so many ways to enhance your curriculum. it is subscription based, but some states offer it for free (like SC). here's the link. you won't be eligible for the free membership until you are registered as a homeschooler. it's great though!:)

my daughter did connections for half of first grade & this was not my experience at all. our homeschool group could have cared less what curriculum we used. i was part of the fort mill group & they were all fabulous. we left connections because we didn't like it, but in homeschool situations it never even came up in topic honestly.

Really? Perhaps things have changed? I know there was a lot of discussion about it a couple of years ago, probably stemming from SCHEA's position statement:

http://www.schomeeducatorsassociation.org/dvd.php

SCHEA’s position is that home education is parent-directed, privately-funded education of one’s own children. The state of South Carolina recognizes homeschooling through three options: (1) registration through the public school district where the parent is providing all of the teaching of their own children (2) registration through South Carolina Association of Independent Home Schools (SCAIHS) (3) registration through one of many 3rd option accountability associations. The South Carolina Department of Education (SDE) states that virtual charter schools do not fall under any of the above homeschool statutes, but in fact, are under the direction of the public school district. Virtual charter schools are funded through public taxpayer monies and are directed by public school officials. For this reason, virtual charter schools are not homeschools, and those parents who choose virtual charter schools as their educational choice have chosen public school. It is public school at home, but it is still public school.

All three of the big support groups in my city do not allow virtual charter school members.

One says: "____ is a Christian support group for parent-directed, privately funded education of one's own children according to the SC Home School Law (Section 59-65-40 Home Schooling Program). The South Carolina Department of Education states that Virtual Charter Schools do not fall under the above SC Home School statues, but instead are under the direction of the public school. According to SC law, Virtual Charter Schools are not considered homeschools, but public schools at home. For this reason, ____ membership is not applicable for VCS families."

Another says: "***Virtual Charter Schools _____ is a support group for homeschoolers and not public school students, VCS families cannot be admitted to ______."

The third doesn't state it on the web page, but the leaders stated at the year beginning meeting the same information.

Really? Perhaps things have changed? I know there was a lot of discussion about it a couple of years ago, probably stemming from SCHEA's position statement:

http://www.schomeeducatorsassociation.org/dvd.php

SCHEA’s position is that home education is parent-directed, privately-funded education of one’s own children. The state of South Carolina recognizes homeschooling through three options: (1) registration through the public school district where the parent is providing all of the teaching of their own children (2) registration through South Carolina Association of Independent Home Schools (SCAIHS) (3) registration through one of many 3rd option accountability associations. The South Carolina Department of Education (SDE) states that virtual charter schools do not fall under any of the above homeschool statutes, but in fact, are under the direction of the public school district. Virtual charter schools are funded through public taxpayer monies and are directed by public school officials. For this reason, virtual charter schools are not homeschools, and those parents who choose virtual charter schools as their educational choice have chosen public school. It is public school at home, but it is still public school.

All three of the big support groups in my city do not allow virtual charter school members.

One says: "____ is a Christian support group for parent-directed, privately funded education of one's own children according to the SC Home School Law (Section 59-65-40 Home Schooling Program). The South Carolina Department of Education states that Virtual Charter Schools do not fall under the above SC Home School statues, but instead are under the direction of the public school. According to SC law, Virtual Charter Schools are not considered homeschools, but public schools at home. For this reason, ____ membership is not applicable for VCS families."

Another says: "***Virtual Charter Schools _____ is a support group for homeschoolers and not public school students, VCS families cannot be admitted to ______."

The third doesn't state it on the web page, but the leaders stated at the year beginning meeting the same information.

nope, it wasn't an issue for me. we also did a lot of things with homeschoolers in the charlotte area (since we only lived miles from the NC border) and it was never an issue then either. our co-op was in fort mill & i did have to sign a statement of faith. it fell in line with my beliefs though, so that wasn't a biggie for us. even the group i was a part of in charlotte discouraged discussions regarding curriculum on the yahoo group because it's sole purpose was for social connections (field trips, classes, co-ops, etc). SC has so many homeschoolers though, so i imagine for every group that refuses to let virtual students participate, there is another group willing to take them in. imho, they are all "school at home" & the children need friends and opportunities regardless of what they are using to learn there. i understand the legalities that divide the two, and honestly, our experience with the virtual school was lame - but i'm glad the year we decided to give it a try didn't hurt our social outlet.

Edited by mytwomonkeys

oh, it's awesome. there are a TON of educational videos, and it really can be used in so many ways to enhance your curriculum. it is subscription based, but some states offer it for free (like SC). here's the link. you won't be eligible for the free membership until you are registered as a homeschooler. it's great though!:)

I've been homeschooling in SC for several years and have never heard of this. I just looked around their site but can't figure out how to sign up. Looks like I have to call my district to get the code??

I've been homeschooling in SC for several years and have never heard of this. I just looked around their site but can't figure out how to sign up. Looks like I have to call my district to get the code??

this should be all you need:

ETV StreamlineSC - offers SC homeschoolers thousands of free educational videos via the internet. To set up an account, send an email to sokonek@scetv.org with Streamline for Homeschools in the subject line. In your email, include:

1. Your name, the name of your homeschool

2. Your home address

3. The name of your accountability association

4. Ages of your children

You will receive instructions for creating your account.

We are 3rd option home schoolers in SC - We joined REACH this year but haven't really done a lot with it. My actual legal association is out of Lexington, I could find you the link if you want - all I do is fill out a form online twice a year and pay 15$.

Oh and that Discovery Streaming - I tired to sign up for that a few months ago and they never got back with me, or i might have went to my spam box. . .I'll try again.

Don't do ANYTHING registration-wise until the year that your child is 6 on Sept 1. Before that you don't have to. Registration is really just submitting a small amount of paperwork and paying a fee. There is NO reason to do that before you are required to! You are a true homeschooler (whether you register or not) when you are teaching your child at home. Don't let excitement about being "official" drag you into wasting time on paperwork before you have to.

When you NEED to register, Option 3 is by far the most common (and easiest) way to do so.

Don't do ANYTHING registration-wise until the year that your child is 6 on Sept 1. Before that you don't have to. Registration is really just submitting a small amount of paperwork and paying a fee. There is NO reason to do that before you are required to! You are a true homeschooler (whether you register or not) when you are teaching your child at home. Don't let excitement about being "official" drag you into wasting time on paperwork before you have to.

When you NEED to register, Option 3 is by far the most common (and easiest) way to do so.

If I opt out of Kindergarten do I need to officially file that?

nope, it wasn't an issue for me. we also did a lot of things with homeschoolers in the charlotte area (since we only lived miles from the NC border) and it was never an issue then either. our co-op was in fort mill & i did have to sign a statement of faith. it fell in line with my beliefs though, so that wasn't a biggie for us. even the group i was a part of in charlotte discouraged discussions regarding curriculum on the yahoo group because it's sole purpose was for social connections (field trips, classes, co-ops, etc). SC has so many homeschoolers though, so i imagine for every group that refuses to let virtual students participate, there is another group willing to take them in. imho, they are all "school at home" & the children need friends and opportunities regardless of what they are using to learn there. i understand the legalities that divide the two, and honestly, our experience with the virtual school was lame - but i'm glad the year we decided to give it a try didn't hurt our social outlet.

I'm going to guess that with your daughter's age, she was in first grade before SCHEA released their position statement? It appears it was released in late 2008. I agree that children need social outlets, and I do see where they're coming from reading through the Q&A on the page I posted with their statement, though I'm not sure that I can wholeheartedly agree that the best way to "fight" VCSs is to not allow families membership in homeschool support groups. SCHEA seems to have come down hard with pressure on support groups to not allow VCS families. This is from their Q&A on that page:

If I enroll my children in virtual charter schools, can I still belong to the local homeschooling support group? The leaders of local support groups have been forced to make difficult decisions with regard to membership of those enrolling in virtual charter schools. A few have decided to ignore the issue and welcome into membership anyone who wishes to join, and some are already regretting that decision. Many, however, have decided to maintain their membership open to homeschoolers only, and therefore, those who enroll their children in public-school-at-home programs (such as virtual charter schools) cannot join. Many of these groups have ByLaws and Articles of Association that states that their groups were founded for the sole purpose of providing support and activities for homeschoolers. Therefore, the leaders of such groups would be irresponsible in their role as leaders to open membership to those who are attending public school (regardless of where that education actually takes place) since those in public school are not homeschoolers. Most of the public-school-at-home programs advertised that they offered extracurricular activities and support to those parents/families who enrolled in their programs. Therefore, it would be very appropriate for those enrolled in virtual charter schools to go to the local public school district and inquire there about activities and any support that is needed from those officials overseeing the virtual charter school program.

If I opt out of Kindergarten do I need to officially file that?

The way I read the law, yes, but when I went up to do so at the district office, they wouldn't let me - said it wasn't necessary. I made them put a piece of paper in my kids' files (they had been in spec ed public preschool) saying that I had attempted to file the paperwork to opt out and was denied. If you aren't in the system, probaby don't need to. Figure out what 3rd option group you are using, and ask them.

The way I read the law, yes, but when I went up to do so at the district office, they wouldn't let me - said it wasn't necessary. I made them put a piece of paper in my kids' files (they had been in spec ed public preschool) saying that I had attempted to file the paperwork to opt out and was denied. If you aren't in the system, probaby don't need to. Figure out what 3rd option group you are using, and ask them.

The couple of people I know who tried to opt out had the same experience. The school district had no idea what they were talking about.

• 1 month later...

Hi Kathryn,

I know this thread isn't current, but there are a couple things I wanted to clarify in case anyone gets confused.

To legally home school in South Carolina you must join an accountability group.

You don't have to join an accountability association to homeschool in SC. Under option 1, you'd homeschool through the school district (not an accountability association). It's generally not recommended, although some homeschoolers have had good experiences going through their local school district.

Option 2 is to join the South Carolina Association of Independent Home Schools (SCAIHS). They are the state-mandated accountability group.

SCAIHS was not mandated by the state. They're just the second option that was created, until homeschoolers wanted more choices and brought the third option into existence through the legislative process (just like SCAIHS was). The state didn't create SCHAIS, nor does it govern SCAIHS. They do not certify or endorse any association's homeschool program, diploma, nor that of any private school in the state. The only organizations they mandate and control (and provide diplomas for) are their public schools (brick and mortar, and now, virtual).

I hope this makes sense! I would recommend that families research the associations they're interested in joining extensively before choosing one. There are many great associations in SC to choose from. :001_smile: There is one, however, that's been receiving a few complaints, unfortunately.

I also thought you wrote that students through age 17 must be homeschooled, but you said through their 17th birthday, so that's basically right. (My old eyes are not what they used to be.) Basically, until a child reaches the age of 17, a parent must compel them to attend school somewhere (public, private, or homeschool).

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone looking for information about homeschooling in South Carolina. There's more info at my website at http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com

Warmly,

Dianna

Edited by CarolinaHomeschooler

You're correct on both counts. I worded things the way I did for ease of understanding of my friends. It's easier to think that you must be accountable to someone, therefore must join an accountability group, which would include the school district as a group to which you must be accountable. It is not technically, legally an accountability group though. As for SCAIHS, you're right as well, mandated wasn't the correct word. It's the group that gets it's own option all to itself. It's the first group created. It's the only one mentioned by name in the legal code. Like it or not, that gives it an air of legitimacy to some people that option three groups don't have.

Care to mention the group that people have been having trouble with?

Care to mention the group that people have been having trouble with?

Kathryn, thanks so much for clarifying what you meant. People get so confused with all the options, and I've found that using words like "mandated" and "certified" have caused the most problems. Families think that it means that they'll get a state-certified diploma at the end of their homeschooling if they use Option 1 or 2, and neither is the case. And they're floored when they realize that SC doesn't give diplomas to any students other than their public school students. They're also surprised that the vast majority of homeschoolers homeschool through Option 3, and that several of the third option associations have more members than SCAIHS. When we wrote the 3rd option law, we didn't want to recreate the problems of Option 2 (where one association was named in the law), so we didn't name any. Actually, there's more to it than that, but it would take a book. ;)

Regarding the association that some folks have had problems with, I'm reluctant to name it since I haven't had personal experience. However, several folks have posted on my message boards (http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/forums) and on several online venues (yahoo groups, other message boards, etc.) about their experiences, so it shouldn't be difficult to find.

Warmly,

Dianna

We used Option 3. I found an accountability group that would basically give me credit if I followed the SC rules and stated to them that I did (180 4-hour workdays, Journal, portfolio, in the required subjects)

I didn't need advice or testing (our employer provides that, since we live overseas most of the time).

I did find the SCAIHS bookstore to be a GREAT place to shop, tho. THey aren't expensive and you can see things before you buy.