Menu

How often for ST and OT?

My ds went to OT for one hour once a week. We increased it to twice a week when his OT accepted an out of state job and we wanted to cover as much territory as possible. The only work he had during the week was his sensory diet and keeping his stuff organized. His OT's original long term schedule of therapy was once a week for about a year. His second therapist also maintained a once a week schedule.

For ST, my ds started with therapy twice a week for periods of either 30 or 45 minutes through kindergarten. (we moved to a different school district.) Later he had it for only 30 minutes once a week. However my sister had ST 5 days a week for an entire summer.

Added: My ds was diagnosised with severe SPD. He wasn't the worst that his OT had seen, but he was severe enough that she was consulting with other OT's on his case.

When we first started OT, we did twice a week for about 2 months. At that point, there was major improvement and we went to once a week, which continued another year or so.

This second round of OT, we're just going once a week.

I think if a child's sensory processing system is really out of whack, and the equipment at the OT is what helps give the stimulation that they need, that twice a week is optimal to begin with. It seems to turn the system around faster.

I think it would be very dependent on what kind of difficulties your ds is having as to whether once a week tx would be ok. In ST you might be able to have the therapist give you more homework to do (hopefully they are already). Are you able to monitor accurately for your ds' ST work at home? Feel free to discuss this with your ST!

OT might be the same, but I'm not as sure on that. OT can be a little more intense, especially if there is rapid progress with the OT needing to modify the tx frequently. But again, the tx wouldn't mind being asked.

HTH

Jacqui:)

I am curious how oftern your child goes to each of these. Right now my son goes to ST and OT twice a week for one hour each session and I am wondering if one hour a week of each would still be as effective.

Our insurance company didn't cover therapy, so we had to pay out of pocket. As a result, we could only afford 1 hour per week for OT, and 30 minutes per week of ST. Both of the therapists knew that we couldn't afford any more, so they taught me much of what I needed to do to continue the program at home!

I don't know if that was the best thing to do, but it was all we could afford. And technically we couldn't afford that, either, as we're still paying it off 3 years later! ;)