Menu

Has anybody tried funwithfigures.com or other Mathfacts programs?

NatYoung17

My dd (almost 7) is having a hard time with Math facts, etc... one day she knows them and does her worksheet without any problems, the next day she throws a big fit about it and says she doesn't know what to do or how to do it... and I just don't know what to do anymore... we use Calvert Math and I do like it, but I need something other than flash cards to work on math facts...

I saw an add for this website: funwithfigures.com - and I was hoping I could get some unbiased feedback on it? Has anybody tried it? I just need something fun for her to practice with- she hates the flashcards and i can't take the tantrums & tears any more....but I don't want to go on with our regular curriculum if she doesn't have the basics down... or do I expect too much?

Thanks for your input!

We're currently using xtramath.org (free) to work on math facts (yes, at 6th grade there's still some solidifying she needs to do, I'm afraid). It starts with addition until mastery, then subtraction, multiplication and, lastly, division. The goal is for the student to be able to do each fact in 3 seconds or less. It is a bit sensitive to mistyping (to my daughter's current frustration as she's almost completed the multiplication portion, but can't quite get to 100% due to some mistyping). For us, it was only a few days to get through the addition and subtraction, but she's been on multiplication for a while longer, and I expect division will be a bit slower than that. This program is pretty straightforward, not game-based, so may not be what you need, but my daughter actually seems to like it fairly well most of the time. Maybe the novelty of doing it on the computer would be enough?

TimezAttack is a free downloadable videogame presentation for multiplication facts only, though you can buy a flashier version if you want it. iKnowthat http://www.iknowthat.com/FT/index.html is another free option for all sorts of educational games.

Edited by KarenNC