Menu

Need help with sing math word problem.

This problem is found in Primary Mathematics Intensive Practice US Edition 3B page 38.

Mark has a fish tank at home. The tank can contain 60 gallons of water. This is 8 times the amount of water in a smaller fish tank. How much water is in the smaller fish tank? Give your answer in gallons and quarts.

My daughter's answer is different from the answer at the back of the book.

Please help!:sad: This is so embarrassing! I tried to register at singaporemath.com to post this problem at the forum but when I tried to register, it states that I'm a spammer!

Mark has a fish tank at home. The tank can contain 60 gallons of water. This is 8 times the amount of water in a smaller fish tank. How much water is in the smaller fish tank? Give your answer in gallons and quarts.

60 gallons is 8 times the amount of the smaller- so you need to divide by 8:

the smaller tank holds 60/8=7.5 gallons

since 1 gallon= 4 quarts, the smaller tank holds 7.5*4=30 quarts.

You can also first convert to quarts: 60 gallons=240 quarts, and divide this by 8, which also gives 30.

Look at regentrude's explanation.

When you are at 7.5 gallons, you'd know a half gallon is 2 quarts (since 4 qts = 1 gal).

By your daughter's division, you have 7 r 4... (I hate writing division like that)... The important thing to remember here is that remainder means 4/8... which is 1/2 gallon... 2 qts.

You've got to be careful with what your units are.