Menu

help with algebra choice

Are there word problems on the PSAT and SAT, or is it purely the math? My son is doing better on the more abstract algebra - in fact has no trouble at all. But the word problems are really slowing him down. We have been doing them together so that maybe it will click, but I don't want to spend forever on them!

Also, we've been using Lial's Introductory Algebra, but also have a Foerster book. I recently gave him exercises in Foerster's to do for extra practice, and he seems to like that book. How clear are the explanations?

Are there word problems on the PSAT and SAT, or is it purely the math?

There are word problems. Here is a link that shows some sample math problems:

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/sat/prep_one/math.html

You might consider having your son do the Official SAT Question of the Dayâ„¢ which can be found at this link:

http://apps.collegeboard.com/qotd/question.do This includes both math and verbal questions but not essay prompts.

Regards,

Kareni

It is a painless way to get used to the format of the SAT questions. They alternate between math and verbal questions, but you just subscribe and they send you a daily email.

As for Foerster, I think the explanations are very clear in the textbook. But I was not sure if you were asking about the way the text is written or if you were asking about the solutions for the problem sets. The solutions are pretty well laid out step by step, but there isn't a verbal explanation with them if that is what you mean.

I have been using Foerster for the last couple of years, for Al II and for Precalculus. I think they are great texts. I did not actually use his Al I text, but I did review it very carefully at that time. I went with Jacobs because I thought that it was a little bit more kid friendly and the cartoons really appealed to both my son and me. I think Foerster is just a little harder than Jacobs.

HTH