Menu

Follow-up on the newsletter "Schooling Options for Aspies" from Dave Angel

Misty

So apparently, Mr. Dave Angel received numerous complaints from parents (including me) about his recent newsletter which outlined his interview with "expert", Dr. Horowitz, who advocates sending Aspies to public school.

Link to original thread

In response to all the complaints, he has opened up a debate on his blog.. Asperger's Education Tips

In a recent mass e-mailing, he said..

As you'll already know if you read my emails I recently raised quite a bit of controversy with a number of my newsletter subscribers.

This followed an article that I put on the blog featuring Dr. Horowitz's views on Education and included his personal take on Home Schooling (which was that he didn't feel it to be a particularly good option for children with Aspergers).

I had a number of emails from parents strongly advocating for Home Schooling as the best way forward, and safest place, for their own child and outlining some of the great achievements that home schooling has helped their child to reach. Please let me know your thoughts and experiences of your child's education; whatever the setting (be it home schooling, main stream school, special educational school, residential school, private school etc.

I really would love to hear more on things like:

Does it work for your child?

What are the positives?

What are the negatives?

How is the acadmeic side, and how is the social side?

Do you have a particular story to illustrate your point?