Menu

Help me with a book list:)

happyhappyjoyjoy

If you were to pick out one book to give to your child every year on his/her bday what would it be?

My oldest is currently 7, turning 8 in the spring. I thought this would be fun to start a tradition of giving a special book every year on his bday and continuing this with the other children. It could be independent reading or a read aloud. It would be neat for the other children to be excited that this was the year they would finally get ___________ as a gift and maybe it could be a book used for a special one on one book time with mom. So what book would you give each year from 8 to 18.

Thoughts???

I have given books at Christmas and for birthdays. We gave my nephew "Tales from the Odyssey Book One The One-Eyed Giant" by Mary Pope Osborne. We also gave my niece "A Hundred Dresses" by Eleanor Estes. My own children have been given many books. They love the Classic Starts series. "Savvy" by Ingrid Law is very much loved by my oldest. She read it for school, from the library, then used birthday money to purchase a copy for herself then bought the second in the series, "Scumble". I would not call it a sequel but it deals with the same family.

I think it is a wonderful idea.

Marsha

I will be adding my own thoughts to this when I have time. I'm particularly interested in knowing what book for a certain age you have given. I know this would vary among children, but there are some generalities that would be good to go by.

Off the top of my head, The Giver and some L'engle books would be books I'd love to give as such a special gift.