Menu

MCT and Brave Writer??????

CatMomof3

I came across these a couple of days again (I know I am always late to the party :D) and have been combing the threads for details about them. It seems that these 2 programs complement each other. I just wanted to know if they really are as good as people have been saying. My oldest dd has been using WWE 3, FLL 4, AAS, and Vocabu-Lit. I really like the programs I just don't like how they don't intertwine with each other - would MCT take care of that? Also Brave Writer seems to cover the literary portion that MCT recommends, as well as, more creative writing instruction.

Would MCT and Brave Writer be enough or would I need to add WWS next year (just to make sure all my bases are covered)? Also do you think I should start with MCT Town or could I go straight to Voyage?

I know my thoughts are everywhere - need more coffee :tongue_smilie:

Thanks in advance

I came across these a couple of days again (I know I am always late to the party :D) and have been combing the threads for details about them.

I assume that you're refering to this thread.

It seems that these 2 programs complement each other. I just wanted to know if they really are as good as people have been saying.

Yes, these programs are that good, at least for those of us for whom the programs work. However, these programs don't work for everyone. It also depends on which components you use.

My oldest dd has been using WWE 3, FLL 4, AAS, and Vocabu-Lit. I really like the programs I just don't like how they don't intertwine with each other - would MCT take care of that?

You can cover all the same subjects with MCT / BW products, except for spelling. If you DD needs the explicit spelling instruction provided by AAS, she will not get it with MCT or BW.

Also Brave Writer seems to cover the literary portion that MCT recommends, as well as, more creative writing instruction.

MCT has a literature component now. While Brave Writer does use novels, it doesn't cover them in quite the way that MCT does.

Would MCT and Brave Writer be enough or would I need to add WWS next year (just to make sure all my bases are covered)? Also do you think I should start with MCT Town or could I go straight to Voyage?

Town level would probably work well. The grammar in Town might be simple, but the writing in Voyage would probably be too hard if your DD is just doing WWE3. Most people recommend MCT placement based on the writing, not grammar.

I assume that you're refering to this thread.

Yes

Yes, these programs are that good, at least for those of us for whom the programs work. However, these programs don't work for everyone. It also depends on which components you use.

I was think about doing them all, I like how they intertwine.

You can cover all the same subjects with MCT / BW products, except for spelling. If you DD needs the explicit spelling instruction provided by AAS, she will not get it with MCT or BW.

So we will stay with AAS, that work for me :001_smile:

MCT has a literature component now. While Brave Writer does use novels, it doesn't cover them in quite the way that MCT does.

But there are only 3 novels right now, or am I missing something.

Town level would probably work well. The grammar in Town might be simple, but the writing in Voyage would probably be too hard if your DD is just doing WWE3. Most people recommend MCT placement based on the writing, not grammar.

So if we did Caesar's English 1, Building Poems, Paragraph Town, and the 3 novels they recommend to finish up the year. Then went to all of Voyage that would be OK? Do you think I should add WWS next year as well?

Thank you for your input, anyone else???:bigear:

So if we did Caesar's English 1, Building Poems, Paragraph Town, and the 3 novels they recommend to finish up the year. Then went to all of Voyage that would be OK? Do you think I should add WWS next year as well?

If you go with Town level, even though some of the grammar will be review, you should still get Grammar Town and Practice Town. You'll go through Grammar Town quickly, but it will introduce the MCT way of viewing grammar. If you do MCT literature, there are two sets of three novels, for a total of 6 novels.

As for "finishing up the year," it will probably take more than a semester to go through all of Town level.

I haven't used WWS or taught logic stage writing, so I can't comment on that.

I use MCT as a supplement, own and have read The Writer's Jungle several times, but do not implement it (I have found a few helpful suggestions but in general am not a fan of the TWJ, FWIW).

These two together will not replace the programs you are using, unless you want to completely switch gears with your approach (and, as mentioned, neither will cover spelling). The writing approaches are completely different from WWE/WWS. There is little to no actual writing instruction in either MCT or TWJ. They are more like guidebooks for the teacher-parent. You have to digest the program and provide all the day to day instruction (and there really isn't a lot of guidance to the parent as to how to proceed with this either, especially for MCT).

Voyage to me seems like grade 5-6+, for the writing component (essay writing). Paragraph Town has assignments for compositions of several paragraphs.