Menu

Need advice on balancing school work and therapy

I feel like I'm drained and just tired. My 8yr old started OT/PT about a month and a half ago. We go twice a week. We only live 5 minutes from the Therapist Office. I also have a 7 yr old that's not in any therapies or tutoring. He does a really good job tagging along and working on the I-PAD. But I'm having a difficult time managing it all along with school work. When we get home on Mondays we are tired. We are able to get a math and spelling lesson done but that's about it. And than on Friday's between Co-op and tutoring that's our entire day. Let alone fighting traffic to get home. We aren't home until about 6pm!! I'm really trying to think this through for the New Year. I'm thinking about dropping PE. I know my boys will be crushed. I just can't seem to think of any other solutions.

Any suggestions???

Mon-9:00am P/T, 11:00am Piano Lessons, 1-2pm homeschool PE YMCA

Tues-Home

Wed-Home, 1-2pm Homeschool PE YMCA

Thurs- 8:00am O/T.

Friday-9:30-2:00 Co-op/ 3:30-4:30 Tutor for Dyslexia

I totally understand and am right there with you! And I have a few different thoughts. My son has 5 different therapies/wk but 4 are at the same office. So, we do back to back visits. On Mon he has 1 hr ST, followed by 1 hr OT. Fridays are ST/PT. He does fine w/ the two hour block and maybe yours would, too? Just something to consider.

The younger child you could school in the lobby while you wait during therapy (I do this w/ mine and it's actually nice and quiet there. This seems to work best for us on reading, spelling, grammar (not subjects w/ manipulatives).

Now the older one who is in therapy, maybe you can change his schedule to include weekends instead of weekdays. I usually make up 1-2 days of class every week on Sat or Sun. I don't have a problem with this. My husband has flexible work hours and it's not like my kids only see him on weekends. He's literally always around. So, we're not missing much by having class then instead.

My son has been in all this stuff for over 5 yrs now. I treat it almost as part of his 'class'. It's what he needs to improve and gain new skills. I often find it overwhelming to keep it all up but then I remember it's about providing HIM with what he needs.

J

ps....in my opinion I'd keep the PE. It's probably great for them to have this and YOU get an hour of downtime. Mine are in gymnastics at the same time for mostly this reason. I can read, catch up on fun stuff online, or talk with a friend on the phone.

Thanks for the feedback. I decided to keep the PE. I really do think the boys need the physical outlet and I enjoy working out for an hour twice a week. I will continue to work with my youngest while my oldest is in therapy. I'm going to add a few things on the weekend for my oldest. Hopefully that will help and I won't feel so burned out trying to get everything done during the week. I just need to find balance.:001_smile:

I feel like I'm drained and just tired. My 8yr old started OT/PT about a month and a half ago. We go twice a week. We only live 5 minutes from the Therapist Office. I also have a 7 yr old that's not in any therapies or tutoring. He does a really good job tagging along and working on the I-PAD. But I'm having a difficult time managing it all along with school work. When we get home on Mondays we are tired. We are able to get a math and spelling lesson done but that's about it. And than on Friday's between Co-op and tutoring that's our entire day. Let alone fighting traffic to get home. We aren't home until about 6pm!! I'm really trying to think this through for the New Year. I'm thinking about dropping PE. I know my boys will be crushed. I just can't seem to think of any other solutions.

Any suggestions???

Mon-9:00am P/T, 11:00am Piano Lessons, 1-2pm homeschool PE YMCA

Tues-Home

Wed-Home, 1-2pm Homeschool PE YMCA

Thurs- 8:00am O/T.

Friday-9:30-2:00 Co-op/ 3:30-4:30 Tutor for Dyslexia

Did the therapists give you an idea of how long they expect your dc will be in OT/PT? Sometimes it helps to just keep in mind that these things will come to an end.

I'd find driving in traffic at the end of the school week very draining too. Since you are fighting traffic for 1 1/2 hours on Friday afternoons from tutoring and home--and on the same day as co-op!-- is the tutor available for an alternative time for the dyslexia tutoring? I wonder if it might help to have tutoring on a different day from co-op also from the learning perspective too. It seems like it could be a lot to take in all on a Friday.

:grouphug:

I completely understand! Between therapy and doctor appointments, skating practices and having two teens going in different directions all the time, I can easily spread myself too thin. Our schoolwork is the first thing to slide!

My son was originally getting speech and OT in separate locations. This year, I switched his speech provider to the same location as OT, which makes my life so much easier! We also do back to back appointments, so he has speech and then OT.

I find that scheduling therapy appointments in the early afternoon is best for us. My son has therapies on Mon and Fri afternoons. I have to keep mornings completely clear, even for a few hours, or I'm totally fried.

Personally, I'd drop a co-op if I felt that it was taking too much time away from other schoolwork. We've never done co-ops for that reason.