Menu

what does this all mean?

Guest chrischem

Guest chrischem

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I would love to receive good advice. My second daughter was tested last year for reading. Her old school used the Fontais and Pinnell, (I'm probably spelling this wrong), and she was tested at a level P with 100% comprehension. She's now in a new school, (a private school), that uses DIBELS. They tested her oral fluency which was a 154 with 100% comprehension again. I didn't want to seem like an idiot so I accepted this and left the parent/teacher conference clueless. Her teacher said she's well above average and is a very strong reader. Could someone shed light on these scores? Her teacher from last year and this year both said she is a quick and avid learner. She tells me that things are very easy for her and she often finishes early. She received all A's this quarter. Should I get her tested for giftedness and try to get her into a summer gifted program or would I be wasting my $$? I don't want to see her bored and stop trying like so many other bright or gifted kids do. I teach 11th grade chemistry and have seen this happen with gifted and bright kids in my class. No matter how I try to motivate them, challenge them with AP type chem material, they lack motivation because they have been given mundane busy work for so long. Any suggestions? :001_smile:

Edited by chrischem

Guest chrischem

thanks for responding. She's in 2nd grade. When she was in preschool, we thought about holding her back a year and putting her into kindergarten the following year but we decided not to. Her birthday is at the end of July. Most of the kids in her preschool class were much older and much more mature but she eventually caught up and now is a leader in her classroom. I will check out your links.

Thanks!!

Are you talking about getting tested by the school? If so, then go for it. There is not much to lose there. If you are talking about private testing, then it is a question of how much you will get out of it, since private testing can be expensive. You would need to research the gifted programs available and see if they might be a good fit for your dd and worth the cost. A gifted program is not going to be a cure-all for academic boredom, but it might be the extra something that your dd needs.