Menu

Would Ballet/Pilates Workouts be more effective

for someone like me who tends to bulk up quite easily. especially in the lower body (or, actually, pretty much everywhere)?

For years and years, my focus has been mainly on cardio, weights, etc. It's only recently, at the age of 43, that I'm just learning ballet-based workouts, pilates, etc. I am now loving all these new changes to my workouts. I also love swimming. I feel that ballet, pilates, and swimming lead to the ideal body - looks-wise anyway. I could be wrong.

I would much prefer a leaner and more sculpted look. When I look at most ballet workouts, the instructors have a much leaner look than in some of the weight ones, etc. I'm tired of bulking up.

My plan is to try to do ballet or pilates every other day and to alternate on the other days with swimming, rebounding, weights, cardio, walking, etc.

Would greatly appreciate your thoughts and feedback on this.

Has anyone experienced a leaner-looking body from ballet, pilates, or swimming?

Thank you. :)

Best I can tell you is I had a good experience with yoga. I lost weight and no bulking up. I was very happy with the results, though still had trouble with the mid section. I was not able to "finish" due to some issues this year. I've gained some weight back and lost any core strength advantages I had. I'm finally getting to figure out a routine to get back into my yoga. I do miss it! I think if I get to continue and keep with the yoga it'll help that mid section issue a lot.

I don't do any other exercises, I hate to sweat and I sweat almost immediately after starting anything, even the yoga:glare: so this was the only thing (along with eating healthier) that I did. It was enjoyable, relaxing and fun.

I've a friend who does ballet -but she started as a chlid. she's now in her 60's. yoga, pilates, ballet will all give you a good anerobroic workout without bulk.

You want something that will really strengthen the core.

when I was pg with dudeling, I got a book on pilates and the forward was written by an ob/gyn. her comment was when doing pelvic surgery/C-sections, she could ALWAYS tell who did pilates because of their core abdominal muscles. had nothing to do with how trim they were, the runners were thin, but didn't have the core of pilates practitioners.

Thank you all so much. :)

I had a good experience with yoga. I lost weight and no bulking up.

Great to hear. I understand and can relate to the whole issues/life circumstances thing. Hopefully, you can soon start yoga again. I LOVE yoga and always have.

A friend of mine takes a PiYo class (pilates and yoga)...that might be right up your alley.

Thank you for that. Looking at some DVDs to add my never-ending wish list. :D

You want something that will really strengthen the core.

she could ALWAYS tell who did pilates because of their core abdominal muscles. had nothing to do with how trim they were, the runners were thin, but didn't have the core of pilates practitioners.

Wow, that's really interesting and definitely makes sense.

Question: I'm concerned that swimming (which I absolutely love) might make me even broader in the upper body than I already am ... Yet swimming is said to be one of the absolute best workouts for back fat and muffin tops. What to do? What to do?

Not swim at all? I don't like that option.

Swim, but swim about once or twice a week?

Someone suggested using a kickboard at times to not overdo the top half.

Any thoughts on all this?

Thank you again.