Menu

Explode the Code writing style?

I have been pretty set on ETC for my K and 1st. What writing style is used? Is it ball and stick? I have been leaning towards using Italics or D'Nealian for handwriting, but I wonder if Explode the Code would override the handwriting?

What other workbook/phonics program for K/1 (the 1 has fine motor skills problems so it's really beginning for both of them) would work with italics or d'nealian?

It gives no instruction on handwriting. It just provides space to write.

I have used ETC but skipped handwriting exercises. With both my kids, their reading ability surpassed their handwriting ability in short order. I have them circle or X out etc but not copy or write. If writing is necessary to complete a section, I write the answer.

I keep phonics instruction in phonics and handwriting instruction in handwriting.

Not that you asked. :lol:

Don't get Get Ready for the Code, Get Set for the Code, or Go for the Code; from what I remember, those all do have "writing instruction," since they're introducing the alphabet letter by letter. If you stick with the actual Explode the Code books, you should be fine. (I've only actually seen books 4-6, but those didn't have the "writing instruction" bits.)