Menu

I need help with DS reading before my hair falls out!

southernm

DS 6 is struggling with reading/phonics and spelling.

In reading, he can sound individual words out, but when reading in context he will often replace a word with a random "guess" that is not even phonologically close. Like today he read in a sentence the word "dog" but the word he was supposed to read was "dad". The word "dog" was on his spelling test today so one would assume he knew that the word "dad" was not "dog". When sounding out words, he often reads the word from right to left. I was doing OPGTR around lesson 60 but after his frustrations (and mine) I moved him back to 30. He would much rather memorize the word and use picture clues than actually sound anything out. At the higher lessons, he could sound the words out but when they were put into context he acted like he had never seen them before. He does this in the easier lessons too. He read the word "man" three different times. He came to it a fourth time and had to sound it out again. I have ETC waiting for me to pick up at the post office today so fingers crossed this will help.

In spelling, he can copy words beautifully all week long. He can use them in the workbook and read them (SWO). BUT when it comes time for the test, he's a wreck. He reverses letters (common I know), he has to sit and think about each word at least 5 min before writing anything, and he has to sound it out. It's like he's never seen it before, or doesn't trust his memory to actually write the first thing that comes to mind. I wanted to do spelling with him because where I taught, it is started in first grade. I can't imagine how on earth he would pass a test if he was in ps.

He *is* a perfectionist and has other quirks. Any advice at all would be so greatly appreciated!

First, I'd drop spelling until he's reading. Focus on phonics for reading. He doesn't need to be able to spell until he can read, since he doesn't need to be writing original sentences until he can read, kwim? Spelling can safely wait until 2nd or 3rd grade.

Second, I'd go to covd.org and find a developmental optometrist near you to get his eyes checked (not for 20/20 vision, but for other problems, such as tracking, etc.).

Once you've gotten the eyes checked, you can make a decision on how to proceed from here.

One thing that might help, in the meantime, is to use a "cursor" - an index card with a cutout in the corner, so you can show one phonogram at a time within the word, enforcing left to right reading. You can also play with nonsense words to help get rid of the guessing. But if he's not seeing the letters on the page properly, that would certainly be one cause of guessing.

Thank you! I guess I just thought spelling was something I had to do, KWIM? I did take him to the eye doctor here and he said his vision was perfect at that he even did some 3d tests and he passed those too (I have no clue what that means). I will have to research optometrists since I am so unfamiliar with Canadian health care. I have an index card to underline but not with the square. I've used the ones you're referring to with other children. I will try anything!

ETA: I found an optometrist through your site. When I call, what type of testing to I ask for?

Edited by southernm

My 7yo has developemental vision problems (things like tracking and eye teaming). She showed similar symptoms. She could read isolated words from a very early age, but struggled with even short lines of print. She would recognize a word on one page and then not have a clue about the same word on the very next page. She had lots of reversals in both reading and writing. After two months in vision therapy she is doing amazingly well!

A regular eye doctor can't diagnose these issues. You'd need to see a developmental optometrist.

This is a great website:

http://childrensvision.com/

Melissa :)

I was worried about my daughter's reading a LOT when she was 6. It wasn't that long ago - she's only 7.5 now - but everything's fine now. I kind of laugh when I look back and see how worried I was. I think that, barring any suspicion of vision problems, you should just chill. He's young, those things are normal, and he will grow out of them (again, barring any vision problems). When my dd was tested right before her 7th birthday, she was advanced in reading. It was like she woke up one day and just got it. I didn't do anything differently - she was just ready all of the sudden.

Are you doing spelling lists, or are you using a phonics based spelling program? If you're doing a phonics based program, that could actually help his reading, so if it's only a few words a week (like 10ish) I think that's fine. Something like Spell to Write and Read, All About Spelling, or Phonics Road. I'm sure there are others, of course, those are just the three I know of that are completely phonics based. We did spelling like that from Kindergarten - just a few words a week. I never stressed her about her memorizing words and there was never a test or anything. She didn't (and still doesn't) remember every word, but the spelling definitely helped my own dd into reading. (Just to give a different POV, not to be argumentative with boscopup.) Either way, I wouldn't worry if he could keep up in PS. That's why we homeschool, right? :)

She didn't (and still doesn't) remember every word, but the spelling definitely helped my own dd into reading. (Just to give a different POV, not to be argumentative with boscopup.)

Yes, spelling *can* help with reading if it's used to help teach phonics. SWO, though, is not quite the same as using SWR or ETC to learn to read. My middle son is learning to read, and he sometimes does some ETC, which does help, but I wouldn't be doing something like SWO where the words are separated from what he's reading. If you're using a spell-to-read program, that's totally fine! But the spelling list that is completely arbitrary when the child can't read those words yet... that seems unnecessary and frustrating.

So I do agree with you that it can help if it's done in a spell-to-read type fashion. :)

I was worried about my daughter's reading a LOT when she was 6. It wasn't that long ago - she's only 7.5 now - but everything's fine now. I kind of laugh when I look back and see how worried I was. I think that, barring any suspicion of vision problems, you should just chill. He's young, those things are normal, and he will grow out of them (again, barring any vision problems). When my dd was tested right before her 7th birthday, she was advanced in reading. It was like she woke up one day and just got it. I didn't do anything differently - she was just ready all of the sudden.

:iagree:This was my experience exactly with my son who turned 7 in September.

Just keep swimming? Maybe it's an age thing? I think, like anything else, reading is practice. My ds is such a people pleaser but wants to go go go go.... sitting down and doing work is boring. So we really had to work on the "look at what you're reading, think about it, and sound it out. STOP guessing." My ds is a good little reader, but he's always rushing to get through his work so he can move on to the next thing in his 6 yo life. Oh the b-d reversal talks we've had. I don't how many times I've said "Stop, slow down, and think... do your thumbs up trick. Is it a b or a d?" My guy is 6 and is just motoring through life at top speed :auto:.

Yes, spelling *can* help with reading if it's used to help teach phonics. SWO, though, is not quite the same as using SWR or ETC to learn to read. My middle son is learning to read, and he sometimes does some ETC, which does help, but I wouldn't be doing something like SWO where the words are separated from what he's reading. If you're using a spell-to-read program, that's totally fine! But the spelling list that is completely arbitrary when the child can't read those words yet... that seems unnecessary and frustrating.

So I do agree with you that it can help if it's done in a spell-to-read type fashion. :)

The problem, you see, is that I never remember to check people's signatures to see what they're using first. Of course, in this case, I wouldn't have known the difference, since I haven't used SWO or been paying attention in any threads where its method was discussed. lol

Ok I am taking my :chillpill:! I have to say that he is a child that will not progress with something until that infamous "click" happens! After talking with my bff, who is also a reading interventionist, I realize that it may be the nonsensical type sentences in OPGTR that are bothering him the most. He needs for things to make sense when he reads so he adds or changes words to make it more fluent as he reads for himself. KWIM? I'm going to focus on his very favorite story, Henry and Mudge, and add the ETC books in too. If that doesn't work, then I will try something else! Does that sound like a good direction to head in?

As for spelling, should I just use my own words and activities and forget SWO altogether?

Just keep swimming? Maybe it's an age thing? I think, like anything else, reading is practice. My ds is such a people pleaser but wants to go go go go.... sitting down and doing work is boring. So we really had to work on the "look at what you're reading, think about it, and sound it out. STOP guessing." My ds is a good little reader, but he's always rushing to get through his work so he can move on to the next thing in his 6 yo life. Oh the b-d reversal talks we've had. I don't how many times I've said "Stop, slow down, and think... do your thumbs up trick. Is it a b or a d?" My guy is 6 and is just motoring through life at top speed :auto:.

I missed your post, but oh my yes! He does need to slow down. He wants to read everything perfectly, and he wants it to sound fluent while he's reading!