Menu

Write with the Best

Homeschooling6

Anyone use this and would like to give review or comment?

For those who have seen or used it and have used WWE can you compare the two?

Can it be done a little more independently for those busy days?

Does it give lots of hand holding (I need this)?

I am thinking of using this for my two middle boys (10 & 11) next year. Hopefully by then we'll be done with WWE3.

Write with the Best is used with HOD and I may (or may not) go that route. If I do I would like to use the writing program since it's scheduled.

Thank you,

Linda<><

I am using it with dd11 and I love it! It does give you, as the teacher, alot of hand holding. Everything is basically broken down into steps. It takes excerpts from classic pieces and uses them as a model. To give you an example, in the first lesson the passage is taken from 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. In this lesson the student is learning about descriptive writing. After reviewing the piece the student is to identify certain adjectives and other parts of speech. Then, on another day they are given a list of some of those words and are to look up and find 3 synonyms for each word. On another day they will do dictation from the passage. Then they begin to rewrite the passage in their own words the whole time trying to use the more descriptive words. Each volume has units and within each unit is Day 1 and Day 2, etc. Some days are very independent for dd11 and she has no problem. Other days do require my assistance but mostly to get her started and then she is on her own. We always meet when she is finished and discuss what she has come up with. We do one week of WWTB and one week of WWS. I like the idea behind both and they both offer something she needs. If you have any specific questions I can get the volume and see if I can help.

Thanks so much, so you are using SWB WWS and WWtB? I was thinking of doing a combo as well but I'm not sure because if I use HOD I'm wondering if will mess up the schedule;) I'll have WWS in my hands hopefully in Jan. for Annette, so I can look at that then.

My two middle boys are almost done with WWE2 and will start WWE3 in a few months, do you think they will be ready for WWtB? I know it says grades 3-12.

It's so hard because my boys are not always on 'grade' level when it comes to writing and spelling. Currently they are going through level 2 of AAS, so hopefully that will help. I'm sure they will be able to finish level 2 and start 3 sometime this school year.

I'm babbling, so I better get schooling :D

Blessings,

Linda<><

I am using it with dd11 and I love it! It does give you, as the teacher, alot of hand holding. Everything is basically broken down into steps. It takes excerpts from classic pieces and uses them as a model. To give you an example, in the first lesson the passage is taken from 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. In this lesson the student is learning about descriptive writing. After reviewing the piece the student is to identify certain adjectives and other parts of speech. Then, on another day they are given a list of some of those words and are to look up and find 3 synonyms for each word. On another day they will do dictation from the passage. Then they begin to rewrite the passage in their own words the whole time trying to use the more descriptive words. Each volume has units and within each unit is Day 1 and Day 2, etc. Some days are very independent for dd11 and she has no problem. Other days do require my assistance but mostly to get her started and then she is on her own. We always meet when she is finished and discuss what she has come up with. We do one week of WWTB and one week of WWS. I like the idea behind both and they both offer something she needs. If you have any specific questions I can get the volume and see if I can help.

• 2 years later...

Search me on the forums.  I have replied to this many times having used WWtB. 

It is a great layout.  You will need to copy the selections, the days are assigned so there is no planning, and the checklists and tip sheets included.  There is little in the way of grammar study.  Both volumes offer different topics.  The first being narrative and descriptive.  I was needed the first day after doing the first lesson together.  After, I turned my fifth grader loose.  We met for the first day only, and discussed the subsequent days. I would not see her until the final draft.  After discussing her draft, she would make corrections and type her paper.

She used a binder to add all of her work and drafts as well as copies of the literature selections.  I did get a grammar handbook from ABeka (preferred it at the time).  I added a thesaurus and dictionary to her basket. We completed volume 1 over 2 years with two levels of Writing Strands.

BTW, I never solely use one book or subject pack.  That is just me.  There is nothing wrong with just using WWtB.  It is enough writing. 

Thank you, ChrissySC.  I am new to the forum and need to experiment with searching--so thanks for the tip!  I really appreciate you sharing your personal experience and description above.

BTW--For grammar, I use Shurley Grammar for 3 through 7 along with dictation exercises that correspond with their Sonlight literature.  From 7th through 12th I also use ABEKA as well as the Blue Book of Grammar at the beginning of the year in 10th and 11th (quick review before the PSAT.)  What do you use for grammar now instead of ABeka?

We went with Journey Through Grammar Land for the last two'ish years.  I really like this like I love Life of Fred.  Both are great to break up the school'ish feel.  I am getting ready to grab some "apples" for the last child.  LOL  After MM for the second time, I think I am sick of it too.  I babble.  Sorry.

Dd was getting sick of grammar.  Although, she saw the Grammar and Composition III at the convention.  I am purchasing again for the ninth.  (We are skipping the eighth grade.  She is doing eight/nine now.) 

I really liked Rod & Staff until seventh grade.  We used that as well.  Honestly, I have to say that it was a great tool to catch up quick or for late grammar starters, as I was this second child.  I did not do it with the third.