Menu

Teaching Company dvd or cd? Iliad, Odyssey and Aeneid - Prof. Vandiver

There's another thread like this around here from maybe last summer? Lots of different opinions. I think it's just a case of know thyself with this type of lecture (where there aren't any visuals).

We don't do as well with just audio. Prof. Vandiver doesn't "do" much, but we like seeing who is talking, and we pay attention better if our eyes aren't just wandering all over the place. So for courses where we want to pay attention, we use DVD when possible.

Julie

I bought the DVD version of the same 3 you mentioned because they were all in sale as cheaply as the audio. Right now we're working our way thru the Iliad, and there really isn't much visually to look at. Occasionally there's a photo of a sculpture or a map or some key term defined, but not often. I think you're probably fine w/ just the audio downloads.

FYI - I don't know if you've been following the other thread from yesterday, but TC is having a huge holiday sale. I don't remember the catalog codes you need to use, but they're both listed in the thread. Prices good thru 11-29-11. In fact, I just ordered Van Diver's Aenid course for $12.95, plus an additional $10 off (so basically, free shipping).

We've really enjoyed the DVD version of the Odyssey with Vandiver, and I'm planning to get the Aeneid DVD, as well (so glad to hear about the sale!) I agree that she doesn't do much that really requires the visual, but a few defined words are shown on the screen. This has been helpful. I also have the hope that watching her lecture is giving ds an idea of what a college-level lecture class is all about. Of course, I can only hope that he will have college professors who make a subject as interesting as she does!

We've really enjoyed the DVD version of the Odyssey with Vandiver, and I'm planning to get the Aeneid DVD, as well (so glad to hear about the sale!) I agree that she doesn't do much that really requires the visual, but a few defined words are shown on the screen. This has been helpful. I also have the hope that watching her lecture is giving ds an idea of what a college-level lecture class is all about. Of course, I can only hope that he will have college professors who make a subject as interesting as she does!

I was asking, as of last night, only the audio cd of Aeneid was available. So, I was considering audio cds for all sets... We are loving studying Iliad and Odyssey this fall with abridged versions first, now Fagles with audio and Heroes of the City of Man and Sparknotes.

I'm still undecided on teh Vandiver sets, but the price is great!

I bought these as mp3 downloads and listened to them while I walked the dog. While I'm sure the dog part diminished total learning, I'm pretty sure that the listening part did not.

Go with whatever is cheapest and works for you.

As an aside her notes are wonderfully complete.