Menu

How long do hard cheeses last once opened?

Yesterday, we bought some sharp Provolone (aged min. 7 months) and aged Swiss (aged over 100 days).

Both are opened and are still in the airtight packaging with saran wrap wrapped around the end and a rubberband on it to keep the air out.

How long should it last and is there a best way to store it? I always find conflicting information online. Some say you can cut the mold off as well, and I know the aged cheese has bacteria and stuff, but seeing the mold will probably put me off from eating it at all...

Indefinitely unless moisture develops in the wrapping or it dries out. It's aged cheese. It was covered with mold before it came to you. And it has been around for years and years already, so it doesn't exactly have a tight shelf life.

If moisture develops, it will get slimy. If it dries out, well, that's just not tasty. Just wrap it tightly and it should be just fine.

Eta: ok, I just saw the 7months/100 days... I'm not sure that counts as aged. Same rules apply, though. ;)