Menu

WWE 3 - a question about the summaries

I started WWE 3 today after completing WWE 2 last school year with DS (now 10). I told him to read the first passage carefully and then wait while I took a phone call for a minute. When I came back (okay the call was a bit more than a minute :blushing:) he had taken the narration sheet and written his own summary (which we were supposed to do orally) and it was nearly perfect with just a small revision needed and some punctuation correction. He really gets this method. Mom is doing a :hurray::hurray:

My question for you is this: Since he is able to write out his summaries already, thereby skipping the narration / I write it down for him step, do you think I should go ahead and allow him to? We have not needed to do the narration questions for a while, really. He is pretty good at just consolidating the information and stating it back to me in a succinct manner. I am thinking that if he is able to skip the part where I write it down, why not allow him to do so? Or is that part really too important to skip?

I think if he can do it that is great. You might ask him to first read it out loud to himself before he commits it to paper, just to help him notice any rough spots.

I would also make it a choice. As the year goes on the narrations might feel more complicated to him etc. I would always give him a chance to dictate to you first with no pressure to produce. Or, if he starts to get sloppy/overconfident etc then take that as a sign that he needs to dictate, but not as a sign that he isn't doing well.

Yes I would let him write his own narration. If he needs some confidence building, just move forward. How does he do with the dictation? If he does well with it, you might try skipping to the middle and see how it goes or give him the end of the year assessment, maybe he's reading for WWE4.

Yes I would let him write his own narration. If he needs some confidence building, just move forward. How does he do with the dictation? If he does well with it, you might try skipping to the middle and see how it goes or give him the end of the year assessment, maybe he's reading for WWE4.

Thanks for the responses. I will go ahead with the first few weeks and see how it goes. I want to do the poetry week for sure in week 5, but if he is ready, I have no problem skipping ahead. I'm sure he will be thrilled.

Thanks for the responses. I will go ahead with the first few weeks and see how it goes. I want to do the poetry week for sure in week 5, but if he is ready, I have no problem skipping ahead. I'm sure he will be thrilled.

He did the first dictation after two repetitions, no mistakes. :001_huh: I'm starting to think that simple maturity has a whole lot to do with their ability to do this stuff...perhaps? I don't know, but he could not do a dictation of that length in just three passes without at least one extra repetition somewhere in the middle of writing last year. He looked up, said, "That was easy...and fun." :001_huh: