Menu

Does anyone use Garber's Biology: A Self-Teaching Guide?

Garber's Biology: A Self-Teaching Guide is suggested in TWTM, to be used along with lab texts (such as Janice Van Cleave) and original sources from antiquity (Hippocrates, Aristotle, etc.). Does anyone actually use this plan?

I've searched the forums, but I haven't found much on this topic. I'm trying to plan for next year for biology for my now-8th-grader. My husband doesn't want to use Apologia, and I'm looking for alternatives that aren't terribly teacher-intensive. Help!

Tiffany

I have not seen the biology self study guide, but I investigated the physics one and found it not sufficient to teach an understanding of physics. In fact, it looked really useless for a learner, more appropriate as a quick review for test preparation if the student already had an in-depth course. (We had a thread about this a while back)

Not sure if you can draw conclusions about the biology one from that, but I looked at the TOC. I am skeptical that 300 pages are sufficient to really explain all the concepts of biology well enough for a thorough understanding if the student did not have a biology course before.

Not sure if you can draw conclusions about the biology one from that, but I looked at the TOC. I am skeptical that 300 pages are sufficient to really explain all the concepts of biology well enough for a thorough understanding if the student did not have a biology course before.

Thanks, regentrude. That's very helpful. I had a feeling it would be too good to be true.

I see from your signature that one of your children uses Exploring Life for biology. Would you recommend it for a family that finds science interesting, but will probably not produce any serious scientists? I particularly want to find a program/book that will make doing labs relatively easy and not too teacher-intensive. Does such a thing exist?

Thanks,

Tiffany

I see from your signature that one of your children uses Exploring Life for biology. Would you recommend it for a family that finds science interesting, but will probably not produce any serious scientists? I particularly want to find a program/book that will make doing labs relatively easy and not too teacher-intensive. Does such a thing exist?

I have not yet investigated biology labs, because my son is using Exploring Life in 7th grade and we won't do the lab until we have to in high school.

I can recommend the text for a student who does not plan to pursue biology, or who is planning to take AP biology at some later point. (For a student very interested in biology, I would prefer Concepts and Connections as a more substantial text; but Exploring Life suffices as high school bio text.) It is well structured and can be used independently by the student; we use it with the activity CD.