Menu

My Fathers World?

LunaticChipmunk

I signed up for this site a few days ago to look for a used copy of My Fathers World Kindergarten. I pulled my son out of kindergarten two weeks ago because he was not happy, I was not happy, and mostly because he was very bored and acting out. He knows everything they were trying to teach him and has for 2 years. I am going to start up with him after the holidays. I liked what I saw on the My Fathers World Website but I am seeing a lot of comments on here and other boards that it is too easy or not enough for kindergarten.

Any ideas? My budget is super tight. Under $100 to get started. He is definitely the type of kid who likes workbooks. Loves them. Would rather do a workbook than watch a video.

I have no idea where to start.

MFW is way too easy if your kid was bored in public school K. Maybe you could look at Memoria Press K. I am liking it with my dd, and she prefers workbooks too.

Can he read? If he can read you might look at 1st grade material instead.

I wouldn't pick HOD because there are lots of crafts.

MFW is way too easy if your kid was bored in public school K.

:iagree: My dd was reading over the MFW K level at that point so we wanted to do separate math and phonics program so MFW never works for us for the younger years.

ETA: ok, not sure why I was thinking first grade??? For K, I would choose a phonics, a math, handwriting and just read books. If you choose a phonics like OPGTR I would add in ETC since he likes workbooks...

Edited by ByGrace3
I think I was tired when I responded. . .

MFW K is a lot of fun, but it would have been too easy for my son when he was in K. We started him in MFW 1st in January of his K year (last year). He excelled and it was a perfect fit. My dd is 4.5 and she is currently enjoying MFW K. It is a perfect fit for her age. I do wish we would have done MFW K with my son at a younger age because of how fun it is, but we just didn't know about it then.

MFW K is a lot of fun, but it would have been too easy for my son when he was in K. We started him in MFW 1st in January of his K year (last year). He excelled and it was a perfect fit. My dd is 4.5 and she is currently enjoying MFW K. It is a perfect fit for her age. I do wish we would have done MFW K with my son at a younger age because of how fun it is, but we just didn't know about it then.

:iagree: I have used MFW-K for both my girls for PreK. The non-phonics part of it is great. I am having even more fun the second time around. But I'm not a huge fan of the phonics side of it. I tried it with my DD6 and it was painful. I tried it again with DD4 with the same results. Both my girls were/are late bloomers in regard to handwriting, so trying to connect reading with writing doesn't work. In both cases I have chucked the writing part, done the sounding out phonics part, and combined it with The Reading Lesson for their real phonics-learn to read program. I feel like MFWK phonics is just too slow. It's great for laying a foundation for reading, but I don't feel it's good enough for a stand alone phonics program at the K level.

If your ds loves workbooks and you have a small budget to work with, I'd just use Explode the Code workbooks, a handwriting workbook and get a math curriculum, especially if he is already reading. If he still needs a reading primer, I recommend Phonics Pathways.

Frankly, for K, I wouldn't invest in a boxed curriculum, like MFW K, or any other, since it' seems that your son is probably going to be beyond what most of them offer in K.

I would consider piecing together different things, because it sounds like he might be past K level for some things. So if you get a Math book, it doesn't have to be K, it may be 1st, etc.

If I were you, I would consider steering away from any boxed sets,

and just get something for Math, something for handwriting, somthing for Phonics, etc. That can be done easily for less than $100.

I doubt you're needing K level things if he was bored in public K. Pick a math curriculum, do a placement test. Pick a phonics curriculum (ETC is a good choice). Pick a handwriting curriculum. Get a library card and use it weekly.

I am using MFW K right now, but I'm not using the phonics part really. I use Webster's Speller. I also am using Singapore Essential Math K. He turns 5 tomorrow and is at K level right now.

My oldest was where your son is now, and I had to pick appropriate levels of each curriculum. Still do. ;) You've made a good choice to pull your son out. K is kind of fun, even when it's easy. First grade is boring for an advanced kid because the party aspect is no longer there. Just avoid boxed curriculum until you work out where your child is.

Here's a cheap option to add on to what has already been said. (Oh, and MFW was way too easy for my kids too--I looked at a friend's copy and knew that immediately--probably better for preK).

Phonics: Explode the Code with Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading (might be able to get it used for cheaper on ebay or here)

Math: Horizons or Singapore maybe?? (two we like that aren't too expensive). For Horizons you wouldn't need the teacher manual and it is more advanced. For singapore you may end up wanting 1A/1B if he was bored in ps.

Handwriting: We love Handwriting Without Tears here. Probably want the teacher's guide.

For "fun" learning, I'd look into Five In a Row. You can get it used on ebay and get all the books from your local library. It's laid back and offers simple geography, science, art, etc... that all ties into a book you read each week.You could also look at Ambleside Online for some free options.

Another way to add on without paying money is to let him do some fun educational websites. You can search on here or pm me and I'll send you my list.