Menu

xpost k-8 board, Has anyone used the BASIS AZ s&s?

Not familiar with the Scope and Sequence, so, alas, can't help there. Just didn't want your thread to sit here all lonely-like. :)

But my understanding is that it is the organization and teaching that have made BASIC so successful, not so much the scope and sequence or specific material used. The administration aggressively recruits top teachers and gives them wide latitude in what to use and how to use it, plus they emphasize teaching students study skills and personal accountability for their own education.

Hmmm... sounds a lot like homeschooling philosophy! You may already be most of the way there, Mandy! ;)

Not familiar with the Scope and Sequence, so, alas, can't help there. Just didn't want your thread to sit here all lonely-like. :)

But my understanding is that it is the organization and teaching that have made BASIC so successful, not so much the scope and sequence or specific material used. The administration aggressively recruits top teachers and gives them wide latitude in what to use and how to use it, plus they emphasize teaching students study skills and personal accountability for their own education.

Hmmm... sounds a lot like homeschooling philosophy! You may already be most of the way there, Mandy! ;)

Thanks for the info, Lori! I have recruited a fabulous math tutor. I guess I need to look more at organization and finding mentors.

Generally speaking, I would like to plan to keep my little guy challenged at home rather than graduating him early, but I want him to feel like he is moving forward.

Anyone else?

Mandy

Actually, I meant YOU are that motivated administrator AND teacher with great choices of curriculum and YOU are the motivated teacher with choice of programs, and are instilling study skills and how to learn HOW to learn. :) Outside helps are always great, esp. in our (the parent/teacher) areas of weakness, but I think the one-on-one mentoring students receive from homeschooling is every bit as a high-performing charter school! :) You go, girl! :)