Menu

ACT vs SAT for CTY

JeanM

My ds (7th grade) is going to take a test for CTY this December. We're wavering on whether he should do the ACT or the SAT. The ACT is a little cheaper, and he won't have to worry about the writing section. DH and I both took SATs when we were young (many eons ago), and it seems like the SAT is still more popular.

Is one test better to take than the other?

The ACT is shorter and the writing is optional, so if attention span or endurance are concerns it may be a better choice. The ACT math goes a bit further than the SAT math but it is overall less tricky. The ACT has a science section and the SAT doesn't. That science section is largely about the ability to read charts and graphs more than really being about science content. The SAT penalizes wrong answers (very slightly) and the ACT doesn't.

SET requires over 700 before age 13 on either math or verbal on the SAT and the ACT can't be substituted. Those are really quite rare scores though so unless he's highly gifted I wouldn't weigh that heavily. The ACT and SAT for talent search are equal as far as the chance for recognition or scholarships.