Menu

Saxon maths for multiple children

farming_mum

We are using Saxon Maths 1 and 2 for our kids (DS6, DD5) and I am wondering if everyone goes through the teachers manual page by page or do you just look over the worksheets and if it is a bit too difficult for the child, then refer to the teachers manual??

As I also have a 12mth old and a newborn at home I'm finding it a bit difficult to go through step by step each lesson from the teachers manual when I know my kids can get through the worksheets without too much problem.

Your wisdom and experience would be greatly appreciated :)

Those lessons can get really long! I have done it in different ways with different kids over the years.

At one time, I would do the meeting with only one kidlet a day and just rotate every other day. That really saved a lot of time. Other times, I would combine the meeting part so that we were all doing it together (letting the younger kid answer the easier questions and the older kid the other parts. That seemed to work really well.

A lot of the time, I would "go off script" and just look over the lesson and then teach it in my own way. Another thing that really helped is even if you use the script make sure to pay attention to the child's comprehension. I found that most of the time, the lesson could be shortened just by not doing all the examples in the text. On most lessons, my kids would pick up the concept quickly and then I could cut the lesson short and send them on to the worksheets.

Having only one ds technically in school I've not had to face doubling up on Saxon (and I am a fan of Saxon). But, given the ages given I would consider combining them. The younger may, or may not, need a little extra help. I would use a few of the problems on side one of the worksheet to help bring the younger along while building a stronger foundation for the older. Then both could work on the back individually, asking questions as needed.

We started with Saxon 3. While I tried to stay with the script as much as possible there were times I shortened it when I thought it appropriate. But I often extended the parts where I had doubts, making up my own problems and discussing them over the whiteboard.

Jim

I've skipped the meeting altogether. We go over various parts of the meeting material as needed for review, but we don't do it all all the time once they get the concept. I got so sick of filling out the calendar in the K level!

I would caution against skipping the lesson based on the worksheets, though. I've found that the worksheets usually lag the lesson material by a few days. That said, I have NO problem going off script, summarizing, or even skipping the lesson altogether if they know the lesson material. Just don't judge the lesson by that lesson's worksheet.

I agree with the PP that you might try to combine the kids. Saxon K through Saxon 3 (although we are using 2 right now, I've looked through the index and some of the lessons of 3) all repeat the basics. They spend less time repeating, and add in new skills as you progress, but you still cover it all. Depending on your kids, and how far you are into the year, you could combine them both into the lower level and then play math games with your older for further practice and to introduce upcoming topics (once or twice a week) OR combine them both into the upper level, and then modify it for your younger (fewer problems, or instead of x worksheet do some work where she struggles).