Menu

can anyone compare and contrast Chalkdust with Dr. Callahan?

Okay, I thought we were going to go with Chalkdust for Calculus. Then I heard about Dr. Callahan's Calculus course. Now I'm confused again....sigh. :confused:

Has anyone had experiences with these that could help me know which way to go?

Has anyone developed a syllabus to go with Chalkdust? Or do you know of a syllabus I could get my hands on to go with the Larson text?

I believe that Larson's Calculus of a single variable is the text for Chalkdust while Callahan's course uses Stewarts's Calculus: Concepts and Contexts.....any one have an opinion on these?

Thanks again for letting me be a pest about these!

:svengo:

I guess there's no need to tell you how great Dana Mosely is at teaching. His presentations are so clear and organized. I don't have Dr. Callahan's Calculus DVD, but have his Geometry.

We just didn't like his teaching style and especially didn't like that he would stand in front of the white board, blocking the view of what he was supposed to be teaching. You can call them and request a sample Calculus DVD. That might help you make your decision.

I guess there's no need to tell you how great Dana Mosely is at teaching. His presentations are so clear and organized. I don't have Dr. Callahan's Calculus DVD, but have his Geometry.

We just didn't like his teaching style and especially didn't like that he would stand in front of the white board, blocking the view of what he was supposed to be teaching. You can call them and request a sample Calculus DVD. That might help you make your decision.

Thanks for the idea about requesting samples, I think I will see if I can get a longer sample from both companies. I really liked the presentation on Dana's material that I saw in the short on line sample and I was a little less impressed with the sample on Ask Dr. Callahan precisely because he blocked the white board. But, it was such short sample that I wondered about it....However, your experience suggests that this is likely to be a frequent problem in the presentations.

I guess one of the things I'd really like to find is a syllabus for the Larson course. I have really liked the way Foerster's Al II and his Precalc with Trig course gave us a suggested syllabus to follow so I knew how long to spend on each thing in order to stay on pace. I also liked having suggestions for which problems to assign and so on.

We're going with Dana Mosely and Larson.

I don't have a syllabus for Larson Calculus, but this is what I have planned for DS:

Day 1 watch DVD, rewatch and pause to do examples.

Day 2 odds (half set)

Day3 odds (other half of set)

Repeat

Chapter review 2 days

Problem solving section 1 day odds

With that schedule, it'll take DS 132 days to complete to Chapter 5. (Calculus 1) That gives lots of wiggle room and he can continue more chapters if he wants. 147 days to complete to Chapter 6. By that time he may be ready to wind down being his senior year.