Menu

Have you started shopping for next year?

happycc

Yes though a lot of my stuff is free resources from online so I am printing and organizing. I'm still finding stuff for this year especially since we flew through some of our K stuff (like handwriting).

Our group has a lot of links to free online resources on our website, so you are welcome to check out what's there (http://www.enrichnc.org). It's organized by category.

For additional stuff for next year---I picked up a copy of the teacher's manual and practice booklet for Shurley English 7 at the consignment store. I also scored free copies of the teacher's manuals for MCT's Caesar's English 2 and the 4Practice book for Magic Lens 1 in the free box there! I know what we'll be doing for vocabulary this summer between levels of Shurley ;).

Edited by KarenNC

Our group has a lot of links to free online resources on our website, so you are welcome to check out what's there (www.enrichnc.org). It's organized by category.

For additional stuff for next year---I picked up a copy of the teacher's manual and practice booklet for Shurley English 7 at the consignment store. I also scored free copies of the teacher's manuals for MCT's Caesar's English 2 and the 4Practice book for Magic Lens 1 in the free box there! I know what we'll be doing for vocabulary this summer between levels of Shurley ;).

Thank you :) I will peruse later.

I've been vacillating between using the free resource (linked on here) for Grammar-Land and purchasing Shurley for my young first grader. I need to start checking consignment sales

Thank you :) I will peruse later.

I've been vacillating between using the free resource (linked on here) for Grammar-Land and purchasing Shurley for my young first grader. I need to start checking consignment sales

Another good resource for online materials is http://clickschooling.com/. Look through the archives for some awesome resources and definitely sign up for the daily email.

We didn't start Shurley until this year, so I can't give you feedback on the earlier levels. It seems to be helping my grammar-phobe, but I can't say if that's the program or just that she's finally in a developmental place to actually (hopefully!) retain long term some of the terminology. Her usage is great in both speaking and reading, always has been, but it's very frustrating to have a kid who has gone through 6 years of grammar instruction (via several different approaches--FLL, GWG, MCT) look at you blankly when you ask her to identify the nouns in a passage, as she did midway through a year of MCT's Grammar Town last year! :banghead: I'm hoping part of it is just the brain fog that sets in at the start of puberty.

My daughter's feedback has been that the jingles are helping (though she is very reluctant to admit it as she hates them ;)). She's one who seems to do well with repetition and (shhhh!)....textbooks:leaving:;). She's flourishing with Saxon after years of struggling with Singapore and likes the Holt middle school science better than any of the "living books" approaches we've tried with science. She actually said the other day that she really likes textbooks. So we go with the textbooks and use other stuff (videos, historical fiction, etc) as supplements.

This is the first year that I'm not purchasing for the next so early. The last two years I purchased early and changed so much of it by the time we started in Sept. Because of this I'm going to wait until it's closer to the next school year.

I'm really happy with this years choices and have enjoyed teaching (most of the time:001_huh:) that I don't feel like researching right now.

Another good resource for online materials is http://clickschooling.com/. Look through the archives for some awesome resources and definitely sign up for the daily email.

We didn't start Shurley until this year, so I can't give you feedback on the earlier levels. It seems to be helping my grammar-phobe, but I can't say if that's the program or just that she's finally in a developmental place to actually (hopefully!) retain long term some of the terminology. Her usage is great in both speaking and reading, always has been, but it's very frustrating to have a kid who has gone through 6 years of grammar instruction (via several different approaches--FLL, GWG, MCT) look at you blankly when you ask her to identify the nouns in a passage, as she did midway through a year of MCT's Grammar Town last year! :banghead: I'm hoping part of it is just the brain fog that sets in at the start of puberty.

My daughter's feedback has been that the jingles are helping (though she is very reluctant to admit it as she hates them ;)). She's one who seems to do well with repetition and (shhhh!)....textbooks:leaving:;). She's flourishing with Saxon after years of struggling with Singapore and likes the Holt middle school science better than any of the "living books" approaches we've tried with science. She actually said the other day that she really likes textbooks. So we go with the textbooks and use other stuff (videos, historical fiction, etc) as supplements.

see that sounds a bit like my little one. she loves workbooks and hands on and retains it so much better. I am actually considering just kind of forgoing most of the rest of RSA that I have and using some free worksheets online and what not for her since she likes writing/hands on better kwim? RSA seems a bit disjointed

see that sounds a bit like my little one. she loves workbooks and hands on and retains it so much better. I am actually considering just kind of forgoing most of the rest of RSA that I have and using some free worksheets online and what not for her since she likes writing/hands on better kwim? RSA seems a bit disjointed

I'm blanking on what RSA is at the moment, but I know with my daughter, we had to go to a hands-on approach to teaching reading when she was little. Phonics Pathways and Teach Your Child to Read in 100EZ Lessons (the recommendations from WTM at the time) were both dismal failures---crying, tantrums, etc every time she even saw the books. Explode the Code, on the other hand, which included writing, was something she begged to "do more." Writing it seems to help it "stick" for her, though it's a pain to get her to write a paragraph or short essay. She likes the Holt Life Science, with it's directed reading guide and study guide.

When I purchased some stuff for this year I did grab a couple things that we'll be using next year because I had the money and the deal was good.

SOTW2 - Need the AG though

Elemental Science - Chemistry (Still have some supplemental books I need to purchase)

Math Mammoth - Purchased through grade 6, my highest grade level child is 3rd grade right now

HWOT - Cursive Success (Still have to get DS and DD6's HWOT for next year)

It's about time for me to make up a list of what we'll be using next year so I can begin purchasing come February.

I'm blanking on what RSA is at the moment, but I know with my daughter, we had to go to a hands-on approach to teaching reading when she was little. Phonics Pathways and Teach Your Child to Read in 100EZ Lessons (the recommendations from WTM at the time) were both dismal failures---crying, tantrums, etc every time she even saw the books. Explode the Code, on the other hand, which included writing, was something she begged to "do more." Writing it seems to help it "stick" for her, though it's a pain to get her to write a paragraph or short essay. She likes the Holt Life Science, with it's directed reading guide and study guide.

RightStart A is our math. It's just eh. Not liking it much though dd seems to like it enough