Menu

What's a good world history for modern that doesn't cover US history?

I think this is my first post on the new boards:)

I'm looking for a way to cover the early modern time period with dd (9th grade) that doesn't focus so much on US history. We're Canadian.

I also have grades 8, 6 & 3 in the mix, so something that works well with multiple grades would be great.

We all enjoy history. We used TOG for ancients, and although we loved it, it was more prep than I'm able to do, and it's fairly heavy in the US history starting halfway through volume 2.

I thought we might use History Odyssey, but my dd looked at the sample and said, "yuck". She looked at the way TRISMS is laid out, and thought she would really like it, but I have some reservations about using it with multiple grades.

Is there anything I've missed? Is there some wonderful new world history program out there that I haven't heard of?

Lori

I'm looking for an early modern curriculum. I did check out Sonlight, as suggested. The Core 7 seems to fit what I want to do, and might allow me to incorporate my three oldest children. I'll put it on my "maybe" list.

Lori

I also used TOG in the past, but found years 3 and 4 too heavily weighted with American history to work for us Canadians as well. How I wish someone would come up with an integrated North American history! (but don't look at me--history is not my forte!) My gr 10 son has been using Spielvogel's Human Odyssey last year and this year, and will likely end up using it for 20thC history as well.

when my dc were 14yo, 12yo, & 8yo. We had a great year. I, too, wanted something that had a world-focus, not a US-focus. I did add in the readers & read-alouds from SL 3+4 as I wanted my dc to each have readers at their own level. The readers & read-alouds from SL 3+4 are great books & helped to give our studies a great balance. The US is such a big infuence on the history of the past century or so, that it's hard to cover history well without including some US history, but many curriculums do over-do the US history. My then-14yod used SL 7 as written, my then-12yos used the SL 3+4 readers, & my then-8yos used the SL gr.3 readers. I read both RAs to all 3 dc & we used only the history from SL 7. It was one of our best years.

JMHO,