Menu

OPGTR or AAR

3peasinapod

First of all, is AAR pre-level just reading readiness and phonemic awareness?

We are using OPGTR now, but have never used the first part of each letter's sound. I was thinking of doign OPGTR with Get Ready, Set, Go For the Code next year for our last DDs K year, but I was looking at AAR and it looks really good. On top of that, I was also thinking of SL K program. :D

We like OPGTR for our older girls, but I was wondering if it was fun for a K'er? DD4 is active and doesn't have a long attention span, and likes to play all the time. If something isn't fun, she just tunes out.

I don't know what to do. Can anyone tell me what you liked and didn't like about these programs? Then comes the question if AAR pre-level is a K level learning a letter a week type program?

I've never used OPGTR in the beginning either, but my youngest son just tuned out when we were trying to do it. He's a very active boy that is usually always on the move. He has loved AAR pre-1, yes it really just focuses on the letter sounds and "the big five" of print awareness, letter knowledge, phonological awareness, listening comprehension, and motivation to read. It works on rhyming skills, syllables, initial sounds and more once you get past the letter pages.

We're currently waiting for level 1 to come out and my son wasn't into the letter pages the first time around all the time, so we're going back and reviewing some of the lessons and doing those pages now.

Only you know what would work best for you child, but if you want lots of fun I think AAR fits the bill.

Sounds like AAR might be a better fit for her. I looked through the first lessons in OPGTR, and I'm not sure if she'll cooperate. Of course, she has a long time in between now and then to mature. I guess I'll have to see a little further down the road. I've been looking into stuff now, as we usually buy our new curric in about February and March.