Menu

X-post with K-8: Middle School Human Body & Health

I'm looking for materials to use for a 7th/8th grade co-op class- probably for one semester (12 weeks) or possibly two semesters (24 weeks).

I would like the class to offer a good review of body systems but I want to add a health component to it that focuses on nutrition, fitness, how our health related behaviors affect the body systems. I don't want to do a health class that spends much time on the social and mental health aspects of "health".

I am comfortable adding in the health related aspects if necessary, as long as I have a good text for reviewing body systems.

What would you wise ladies all suggest for a text or other materials?

Prentice Hall's Science Explorer has a human body book. My DD used it in school this year. It's not as thorough as I would like, but it does give a good overview.

RC

Thanks, Rough Collie! This looks exactly like the kind of organization I'm shooting for. I can always add detail by getting various freebie pamplets, my own handouts, and in-class teaching.

How do you find the chapter on the Reproduction? Is there anything that conservative parents would find offensive? Basic facts of anatomy, physiology, and fetal development will be fine. Values based judgements about behaviors that are not in line with conservative thinking would not be OK.

My DD has put the book somewhere and in the morning, I will read that chapter and tell you all about it. I don't think it taught any values though, just the facts.

I own a copy of this book, Tokyomarie, and if you pay for the postage, I'll be glad to send it to you and you can keep it.

RC