Menu

Has anyone tried using a whisper phone to improve fluency?

creekmom

I've been reading an excellent book about improving children's reading fluency ( The fluent reader : oral & silent reading strategies for building fluency, word recognition & comprehension). In the book, he talks about a successful technique called the whisper phone. Some teachers make them using pvc pipe, but I found this website that sells hands free ones (http://www.whisperphone.com/). The student reads into the phone, and the words go directly back to his ear. If you're interested in learning more, the website has a lot of information. Anyway, I'm considering buying one and wondered if any of you have already tried it?

I think they can be a big help. You can also use one of those stretchy tubes that bend. My kids call them "Pop pop tubes" They are super cheap and work just as well as a whisper phone. My son's speech therapist used them for that purpose.

Like this:

http://funandfunction.com/pop-tubes-p-1699.html

I have seen them at the dollar store with the party supplies.

I purchased a Toobaloo but haven't had the boys use it yet.

I like the one you found though because the child does not have to hold the phone. Neat :)

Yes - the hands free option would be ideal. I found the same whisper phone on Amazon for a few dollars cheaper (including shipping) if anyone is interested.