Menu

Tell me about Life of Fred, please?

momacacia

DD (almost 7) is in Right Start B. I see her "getting" math, I love the Right Start philosophy and abacus (she hates the abacus unless we just use it very briefly), and dd loves the math games. I think she just hates being "taught" math (doesn't mind being taught other things).

But I just took a look at LOF. What are others' experiences with it? It looks FUN!! :001_smile:

I am lousy at math, as in my skills stop once we hit fractions. But, dd loves the sciences, how things work, and building, so IF she's headed in that direction she needs strong math. My plan has always been RS until we run out and then Singapore. But I figure she'll learn more math if she loves math more. ;) would LOF do these things for us?

Thoughts?

Thank you!

My 8yo uses LoF. He really enjoys the books. He reads a few chapters each day and answers the questions. So far it has been entirely review for him, but he's having fun with it.

Melissa :)

Edited to Add- He's using the LoF Pre-A set. I haven't tried the elementary books so I can't comment on those.

Edited by happy-hs

When your DD is a little older, LoF could make a great standalone math program (my DS 10 is a very math-astute kid, and was enormously relieved to get "finally-- a math book that treats me as if I have brain!"). But that would be older-- after she has mastered the basic arithmatic functions through long division and is ready for LoF: Fractions.

The elementary series (Apples through ?? it keeps changing) I am still waiting to see the whole thing. I am very hesitant to call it a program and would call it a supplement at this point, though a delightful one. I just responded to another thread here.