Menu

math woes

choirfarm

My daughter hates math... absolutely hates math. She is 9 and in 4th grade. We have TT 4 and she is on lesson 50 something and Horizon 3 and she is on lesson 72. ( No she doesn't do both of these every day. We were doing Horizon 3 last year but it was going SO slowly. She couldn't get her multiplication facts down, and it was about to jump into the 4x89 type question. So for the summer I just continued to drill them ( flash cards, writing them, songs, schoolhouse rock, etc.) and had her do TT 4 that I got CHEAP... like 10 dollars or something. She liked TT at first until once again it got into multiplication.. And she hates the timed drills. I just decided we finally had to go on. She can do the multiplication problems like 6x382 but she still needs to skip count to get to her 8 facts. She seems to know most facts but is still stuck on 8x8, 7x7, 7x8, and 6x7. She can do problems like n+6=8+(3x5) in her head. She hates Roman Numerals, but can do them. She understands basic fractions and does the worksheets for equivalent fractions, but doesn't understand them. She adds multiple numbers easily and can subtract 5 or 6 digit numbers, though she HATES it. Anyway, she really hates math. For the Horizon, we generally spend 10 minutes a day 3 times a day for her to get her worksheet done, groaning the whole time. She doesn't want to do TT math anymore. I'm not sure why. I just don't know how to make it fun.. Nor do I really have time to with the other 2..

Christine

:iagree:

I have a Master's and Bachelor's in engineering and 10 years working in my field and (I hate to admit) I still have to calculate some of those 8x and 7x facts on the fly. :tongue_smilie: I usually tell a joke to buy myself some time.

Perhaps if she moves on, those will come unbidden.

I guess I haven't made myself clear. We DID move on at the beginning of this year. I'm still trying to get those last few math facts into her, but we have gone on. She just hates it. She says it is too hard, but when she really wants to do something it is amazing how quickly she can get it done. I'm tired of feeling like the bad guy.

Christine