Menu

Another ? for those with BA sample chapter...

Rosie

Am I correct in assuming there is no teacher guide? If so, does the instruction seem clear enough for someone who memorized all the algorithms/formulas in school but didn't truly understand it?

I've found the Singapore HIGs very useful for helping to teach ME how to do mental math, but I've also found that I haven't needed the guides much (nor used the textbook as much) for the other parts. I like having the IG there to "hold my hand" but I'm willing to use Beast Academy without an IG if the instruction is clear enough.

So, if you have a BA sample chapter, what do you think?

Am I correct in assuming there is no teacher guide? If so, does the instruction seem clear enough for someone who memorized all the algorithms/formulas in school but didn't truly understand it?

The "textbook" is called the "Guide." It is in comic book format. That format may not appeal to all as an initial thought, but the lessons in the sample are superlatively developed in the Guide.

There is no separate TM. However, between the outstanding lessons in the Guide (which encourage "discovery") and the problems in the practice books (which look more "traditional", but still encourage thinking) things are very clear—while still requiring a stretch.

Then, there are "solutions" to the practice problems. These are critical. These "solutions" are not just answers in the back of the book. Rather they take parent/teacher and child through the mathematical reasoning of the problems they have already solved (or attempted to solve). So there is teacher/student support, it just isn't in a separate teachers book.

Based on the sample, I think a parent who intends to be part of the process will need to work through the "Guide" (textbook) either along with the child or alone (in conjunction with the child) or they might quickly be lost.

The good news is the sample lessons were really fun. I know I learned thing I did not know previously.

I've found the Singapore HIGs very useful for helping to teach ME how to do mental math, but I've also found that I haven't needed the guides much (nor used the textbook as much) for the other parts. I like having the IG there to "hold my hand" but I'm willing to use Beast Academy without an IG if the instruction is clear enough.

So, if you have a BA sample chapter, what do you think?

It will be interesting to see how they deal with other topics. Area and Perimeter (while interesting) is not a topic where one gets to see how they deal with the nuts and bolts of teaching addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and fractions. So it remains to be seen.

Still, I'm mighty optimistic based on the sample (and the affiliation with AoPS) that this is going to something really special. IMO the instruction in the sample was very clear. It left room for problem solving, but then supplied the answer in both the Guide and the Practice books for those who are perplexed. It was just the right balance IMO.

Bill

One after-thought, I think a parent that plans to use Beast Academy will need to understand that they need to take this "class" too, unless they have an unusually independent student and plan on remaining out of the loop.

Otherwise, mere-mortals would not be able to "wing it" without studying the Guide. Be prepared to learn things you never knew and/or be ready to solve problems without using "advanced" math skills one has as an adult, but that are not things children might know yet (like algebra, decimals, fractions, etc).

This looks like it will be a fun challenge for adults too.

Bill

Thank you! I plan on going through it with my girls so that shouldn't be a problem. My highest academic goal for them is that they learn to think critically so I don't mind spending more time on that.

It's a little scary to think of dropping Singapore for something brand new that no one has used before, but it seems like it may have the good about Singapore plus deeper and more varied problem solving questions. I just want to make sure that BA will be a good fit for us. It sounds like it just might!