Menu

Oh, my ... I just read ...

The Federalist Paper #39 on Republicanism to my dd17. She had to read it for government class, and as an English language learner, it was ridiculously too opaque for her.

I read it paragraph-by-paragraph and explained it as we went.

She pronounced it "stupid" and "boring." I actually found it interesting.

I do think it's a bit much to toss it out to highschoolers and say, "Here, read this, quiz tomorrow."

Tara

The Federalist Paper #39 on Republicanism to my dd17. She had to read it for government class, and as an English language learner, it was ridiculously too opaque for her.

I read it paragraph-by-paragraph and explained it as we went.

She pronounced it "stupid" and "boring." I actually found it interesting.

I do think it's a bit much to toss it out to highschoolers and say, "Here, read this, quiz tomorrow."

Tara

Several of the Federalist Papers were my "sink-or-swim" introduction to AP US History. Our teacher expected us to read and summarize one in one evening for homework (several different times). That was the first time I ever remember really being challenged (like up till 1 AM working on schoolwork straight through challenged) by anything in school other than math. It was a struggle at first, but I finally figured out how to swim. My memories of struggling with figuring out how to summarize those papers were a big part of why the classical approach and specifically SWB's approach to writing resonated with me. I can't imagine doing it as a non-native English speaker, though! :svengo: