Menu

What type of writing should I expect from my 10th grader?

My tenth grade son just took the final exam for the Advanced Composition class at The Potters School. Here were the topics:

1. Write an Argumentative composition on one of these topics--not a topic you make up:

· Federal government involvement in judicial matters.

· Where have all the good guys gone? Most of today's secular novel, movie, and TV heroes are bad guys or comic idiots. Why is this?

· People's response to a new movie (you pick the movie) indicates something about our spirituality.

· For or against how we are handling our national “war†on terrorism.

· For or against the establishment of the Department of Homeland Defense in the US.

· Censorship in the media: how much control should the government have over the written and spoken word?

The goal of the class was to learn how to write an excellent 5 paragraph composition, creating a strong thesis statement, correct grammatical form as per Gregg's Reference Manual, and provocative, well thought out writing. One strong stipulation was to write in the active tense (no to-be words - am is are was were be being been). I am glad that he took the class and feel like he strengthened his writing skills tremendously. Perhaps this will give you a sample of some writing posibilities/topics/styles to think about as you plan the writing for your son next year!