Menu

Am I wrong to think that Lials's BCM could just replace SM?

Halcyon

I have been spending more time looking at my Lial's BCM that I got a month ago. It seems to me that it covers almost exactly what we'll be covering in SM, minus of course the CWP and IP, which I think are irreplaceable :D! Of course, I would probably need to whiteboard some of the concepts for DS given the smaller font, but really, this looks like a possibility, no?

and of course there's the tiny little fact that it's SOOOO much cheaper than SM.....:glare:

It DOES cover all the material that Singapore Math covers, just in a quicker fashion. I would not use it for a beginning student, unless you were planning on adding LOTS of hands on and making up worksheets and such. I AM considering using it (or Math Mammoth) instead of/in addition to 6A and 6B (maybe 5B, too--I need to look at the scope and sequence). I think Singapore becomes weak after they teach long division. Percents, fractions and all the rest come very quickly for my kids and there is a struggle with retention.

• 5 weeks later...
It DOES cover all the material that Singapore Math covers, just in a quicker fashion. I would not use it for a beginning student, unless you were planning on adding LOTS of hands on and making up worksheets and such. I AM considering using it (or Math Mammoth) instead of/in addition to 6A and 6B (maybe 5B, too--I need to look at the scope and sequence). I think Singapore becomes weak after they teach long division. Percents, fractions and all the rest come very quickly for my kids and there is a struggle with retention.

Interesting. I just wonder if using it in conjunction with some worksheets (maybe MM) would work for a child who gets things quickly. Right now, my thoughts are that while my son gets fractions, decimals, ratios etc very quickly, he needs spaced review to be sure he remembers the "how". So I've been making a lot of my own review sheets for him....and it leads me to think "hey, I could just use BCM and make extra sheets if need be" for SM 5 and 6....

We are using BCM this year and it has tons of problems! My ds usually does the odd problems but I make mixed review sheets using either even problems from the text or problems from the worksheet book that corresponds to the text (found on Amazon for $3!). I really like the plethora of problems available because my son needs it for some topics. We like this text!

I do have the CWP and IP texts from Singapore and we are planning to use those as filler since we will be done with BCM before our new baby is born and he can do the CWP and IP mostly independently.

We are using BCM this year and it has tons of problems! My ds usually does the odd problems but I make mixed review sheets using either even problems from the text or problems from the worksheet book that corresponds to the text (found on Amazon for $3!). I really like the plethora of problems available because my son needs it for some topics. We like this text!

I do have the CWP and IP texts from Singapore and we are planning to use those as filler since we will be done with BCM before our new baby is born and he can do the CWP and IP mostly independently.

What level of SM did your son complete before moving to BCM? I like the layout of BCM--it appeals to my linear nature ;) DS likes it too, but I'm just not sure if and when to make the leap.