Menu

Questions about TWTM's sixth grade, Middle Ages reading list-help please!

Catherine

First-for the version of King Arthur-the student is meant to read all of them? The would be 5 books (Jacobi version, Lanier, Sutcliff, and two by T H White). It seems excessive time devoted to one topic. What have all of you done? If you have used just one or two, which did you choose and why?

Next question: How about substituting D'Aulaire's Norse myths for one of the recommended version? Any reason not to? We already own the D'Aulaire's.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, just choose whichever version of Arthur seems best for your child. My ds had read a version from the library (can't recall which), and was "Arthured-out" by the time we got the Arthur, so we didn't even actually do one on the official list. :) But, really, I think there are so many on the list so that you can feel free to choose whichever will work best for you - not to make you feel like you must do them all!

And, I think you'll be fine substituting for Norse Myths as well. I have the D'aulaire's Greek Myths, and the Norse Myth books on the WTM list are very similar in set up and difficulty.

We also read up to Sir Gawain's temptation scenes in the Tolkien version, then switched to a more middle-school (hey my kid's hormones are raging already, thank you) version. It was at our library, but I'll link amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/Gawain-Green-Knight-Michael-Morpurgo/dp/0763625191/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212177754&sr=8-1

hth,

Rhonda

ps - We also loved the books listed for Middle Ages in SL Core 6.