Menu

Update on Aspie teen and writing essays

A while back, I posted about ds15 being inundated with writing assignments from his Keystone high school classes. I just wanted to comment on the experience.

We finally did make it through the roughest part and I am so very proud of him for working so hard. I had to readjust the schedule many times to provide him with what he could handle on a daily basis. Not pushing him beyond his ultimate limit was the key. One assignment was a research paper in World History with a minimum 5-page requirement. He was freaked out that he would have to write so much. He only needed to work on the body for the first graded assignment. The introduction and conclusion are due in a couple of weeks. The teacher loved his paper. He had 7 pages (double spaced) of information and it took him 4 school weeks to research and write that. When he was about halfway done and beginning to get discouraged, I offered him an incentive. I really don't like doing that, but I told him that I gave myself incentives to get through things too, so we would view it that way. :tongue_smilie:

He has still had writing assignments every day, but again, I tailor the schedule to his abilities. My DH was just commenting to me last night that ds15's writing has improved greatly in the last several months. And it really has! So while I was totally freaking out at the amount of writing, it looks like it has actually had some positive effects on my son's abilities.

It is definitely going to take him more than the standard 36-week period to complete a couple of these classes, but it will be okay in his overall high school plan.

Our main focus, or maybe I should say MY main focus, is encouraging him to do some of the writing independently. If I can help him in the beginning, where he is planning, I can walk away and come back if he calls me or when he is finished. I also stopped checking his working and reviewing it from the point of view of an assignment that I would write. He turns in his finished work and his teachers always provide positive comments.

I wouldn't call this a brag, just more of a note expressing the relief that I feel about his program. I'm as proud of myself as I am of him! :lol: