Menu

2nd grade math help ~

FairyMom

These all sound like really fun ways to learn. Young kids tend to love stories. I remember when we first started out and my son wanted me to lay down with him at bedtime. It was "lights-out" but he pleaded for a story.

Having no story at hand, I thought I'd invent one around our new strategy of "making Tens."

So I began, once there were two numbers walking in the woods. One was an Eight and the other was a Seven. Eight dreamed of becoming a Ten, there was nothing in the world he wanted more. So Eight pleaded with Seven, "Oh Seven, I so wish to be a Ten, won't you please give me Two so I can realize my dream?"

The Seven—being a good natured number—said, "it would be my pleasure to help you become a Ten." So Seven gave Two to Eight and Eight became a Ten and Seven became a Five. So they were now Ten and Five.

The new Ten was so grateful to for friend's kindness and true friendship that he said to Five, "from now on let us be partners and walk together as a pair in the woods." The Five was delighted and happily ascended to the idea and from that day onwards Ten joined with Five to become Fifteen.

Good night.

What I did not know that night is that by special request a would have to tell variations of that story for hundreds of nights to come :tongue_smilie:

Daddy, can you tell me a story of two numbers in the woods?

Bill

That's a very nice story. I'll have to use it with my youngest.

I was wondering if you would reply to my thread. You are sort of the math police on this board. I thought you might slap down one of our games with a c-rod approved game. :p

You story sounds like a math picture book I read. I can't remember what it was now.

That's a very nice story. I'll have to use it with my youngest.

I was wondering if you would reply to my thread. You are sort of the math police on this board. I thought you might slap down one of our games with a c-rod approved game. :p

You story sounds like a math picture book I read. I can't remember what it was now.

The "math police"? :lol:

What thread Julie?

Bill