Menu

Can you give me your thoughts on this Biology s/s

I am using it this year with my 9th and 10th grader. We are 7 weeks into school and so far, so good. I have been pleased. Let me know if you have specific questions.

Yvonne in NE

Oh I am so happy to hear somebody is using this!! How do you feel the material is explained? Is it clear? Confusing? Is it rigorous? Light? A few reviews have commented how much chemistry is in the book compared to most and how nice that is, what are your thoughts on this? Anything you can tell me would be awesome! I am looking into this for dd8th for next year. We did not home school via WTM for long so she has not had 5th grade biology. She did go through Apologia Anatomy and I added in a small cells unit (maybe a week if that?) She also did Apologia Zoology 1,2 and 3. Do you think she will be lost or will she be able to handle this ok? We are planning on watching this over the summer before 9th to help get her 'up to speed'

Also, is the size of the textbook intimidating? I read that it is a HUGE book.

Well I asked the kids their opinions and they basically said, "Well duh, Mom, it is school, of course we don't like it!" However they are doing the work and have earned in the 90's on the two tests they have taken so far.

There is a schedule in the Parent Companion book that we have been following. The schedule has everything planned for 36 weeks of school, usually 4 days a week with a 5th catch up/study day. The kids read the sections indicated, take notes, and answer any chapter review questions that were covered in those sections. If they are not able to answer the chapter review questions, they watch the "Enhanced Study Questions DVD" for further information. The following day I go over the previous days sections by using the parent companion book which has the key points listed for each section. They watch the labs, but are actually 'doing' labs with a coop.

I think the material is explained well. I would not consider it light. The student does have to study to do well on the tests, which are short answer/essay tests with a few T/F. As far as the chemistry, I don't have anything to compare the text with. However, my kids did BJU Physical Science last year and so far any chemistry related topics have been review from last year.

Yvonne in NE