Menu

What do you think about Study Time Arithmetic?

island-mama

I did a search on this forum to try to get some feedback about the Study Time Arithmetic math series available from Pathway Publishers. It looks similar to Saxon in its spiral approach, and I am considering using it for my daughter. However I am coming up short on any opinions/reviews about it. Honestly, it looks strong, but I can't find much about it. If any of you have used this curriculum or know someone who has, I would love to know your thoughts.

I am using this with one ds and the CLE with the other. I was going to use CLE with both but then heard about this. My ds loves the Pathway books so he was excited to use this program. We haven't used it for too long, but here's my thoughts. There's too much on one page for.....me.:001_smile: I think for my dc, too, it is more helpful at this stage to have less to look at to really focus on what is going on. Also, I feel like it jumps around a bit too much. And lastly, at least up to now (about one month in) it seems a bit too easy for third grade level.

I like CLE more. I'm not sure how ds feels about it, though. He hasn't complained at any rate.

We also have the Strayer Upton Practical Arithmetics book 1. So far it seems to follow a pretty similar path. So, they are good back-ups for each other. Or, could just be redundant. I used the Practical Arithmetics book today verbally just for a change of pace.

I was frustrated with this again today, so I asked ds if he likes it. Um, not much. I find two other problems with it. He's not a great reader yet and what work needs to be done isn't always obvious without reading. He needs me to explain more than I would like. I'm not sure if I'm completely unreasonable and this would be the case no matter what. I don't think so. Again, it comes back to the cluttered pages, in part. I also find I'm just arbitrarily skipping a bit here or there. I feel like it's no better than last year when we used some cheap workbook we picked up somewhere.

I had considered McRuffy for him. Also Math Mammoth which he originally wanted till I told him about this. I'm still leaning toward CLE. I am going to show him his brother's book and see if that gives him an idea.