Menu

My kids aren't remembering/learning anything!

I am at a loss. Topics that we covered last week in literature -- they have no idea what it's about, like it never happened. The same topic was covered this week in history; no recollection. Lit was reading together and discussion. History was reading alone, answering written questions, notebooking, mapping. They seem to enjoy both, but I feel like I am wasting my time if nothing sticks.

WWYD? It is my responsibility to make it more exciting somehow, so that they'll retain the information? Or theirs to pay attention, think, and process? Oldest dd (now in college) was curious about everything, loved history, this was never an issue. Dd16 & dd14 don't really seem to care if they learn anything, just that they get it "done" so they can have fun with their friends. I have tried everything I can think of.

Hive?

One suggestion I had read (and will be trying next week, actually) is to give the kids an open-notes test (meaning taking a test using only the notes they took while reading or discussing -- they cannot use any books). This means that they must read/listen and write down the most important things during the lesson/chapter. The more detailed their notes, the better they will be able to perform on the test. And just the act of writing down they key facts/definitions/events/terms/etc. will increase their chance of info retention.

I'm not a big fan of testing at all, but I've run into the same problems with the information-retention issue. I'm really trying hard to get my 9th grade DS to learn the skill of taking notes and he is fighting me every step of the way on this. He keeps telling me he understands the material (which I agree, he does), but I keep explaining that he's not remembering a lot of the material, thus the push for note-taking.

FYI - I've been trying to vary the way my kids take notes -- notebooking pages, foldables (a la Dinah Zike), summary paragraphs, Cornell notes, outlines, etc. I realize the format that works for one child might not work for another. But it is a big struggle, regardless of format. Thus, the open-notes approach next week. Once they take the notes, they need to use them in some way -- incorporating them into a project, using them as a springboard for more research, doing a writing assignment, studying for a test, etc.

To encourage more detailed note-taking (a skill they will need in college), I'm also doing occasional "notebook checks" that will be part of their grade. I outlined clear expectations (A=all notes dated, organized, and detailed on key chapter topics, B= most notes dated, organized, and detailed on key chapter topics, etc.) and a deadline, so they know what I expect and when.

I'm not trying to imitate school per se, but to me, note taking and effective studying are keys to success in college, regardless of whether you're homeschooled or in public/private school.

Not sure if this will work (for you or for me!) but I'm just throwing it out as an option to consider.

Lisa