Menu

My 3rd grader stutters while reading.....

GVD22

Is it only while she is reading? Or is it in other parts of her speech?

Our speech therapist told me to reduce stress and reduce the verbal load. If she is struggling with oral reading, try having her narrate instead. If she studders with that you may need to move to guided conversation. Definitely have her read easier books with shorter sentences, over more grade level books. My son even found talking to his half deaf great grandmother an increased verbal load, and stuttered when trying to speak loudly. So give the possible causes some serious thought.

If you are worried, see a speech therapist.

Ruth in NZ

Is it only while she is reading? Or is it in other parts of her speech?

Our speech therapist told me to reduce stress and reduce the verbal load. If she is struggling with oral reading, try having her narrate instead. If she studders with that you may need to move to guided conversation. Definitely have her read easier books with shorter sentences, over more grade level books. My son even found talking to his half deaf great grandmother an increased verbal load, and stuttered when trying to speak loudly. So give the possible causes some serious thought.

If you are worried, see a speech therapist.

Ruth in NZ

It's only while reading. Thanks for the suggestions.:)

My 7yo ds does this. It drives me bonkers. I think he's reading ahead, and so he forgets what he's saying. I've noticed that he's most likely to stutter on the easy words that precede a difficult word--like he's so busy trying to figure out the difficult word that he stutters on the 2 or 3 words before it. He almost never stutters on the difficult word itself. I've been trying to tell him to slow down and focus on each word as he's reading it, but I might as well be talking to the wind...:tongue_smilie:

My 7yo ds does this. It drives me bonkers. I think he's reading ahead, and so he forgets what he's saying. I've noticed that he's most likely to stutter on the easy words that precede a difficult word--like he's so busy trying to figure out the difficult word that he stutters on the 2 or 3 words before it. He almost never stutters on the difficult word itself. I've been trying to tell him to slow down and focus on each word as he's reading it, but I might as well be talking to the wind...:tongue_smilie:

I'm guess I'm talking to the wind right along with you. ;)

Another suggestion is to alternate sentences to model a slower pace. Then slowly build up so you are alternating paragraphs. The slower pace typically improves stuttering, but it is much better to model a slow speed than to tell them to "slow down."

ruth

Thanks for the tip!