Menu

Ancient History Copywork Selections

ChrissySC

I use Startwrite software. I will post these files to the same page soon.

However, I wanted to share the links for those that do not use this software.

These are ancient history selections for copywork. I continue copywork through high school. Some selections are intended to be completed over the course of a few weeks.

Enjoy. Please link me to any that you use as well.

Here

I looked at the first that you mentioned.

I think for a younger studying ancients that this would be great. I need something for fifth grade. I set out to make the sheets in Startwrite yesterday. It was hard to find something historically relevant for a paricular time and culture. This is one area that I wish both SOTW and MOH would rectify. I would love to see copybooks for each.

I could not get the second link to open. I am off to search for it. THANK YOU!

The problem seems to be that most stop copywork before the logic stage. I disagree with this. I think copywork should continue and lengthen through highschool. :D

Are there examples of the pages for the level 2 anywhere?

Actually, using copywork expands the vocabulary and usage. Vocabulary is not used as a word to memorimize but used for worth and content. The words are experienced. Any word that dd loves is added to our WOW (words of worth) box. She will list a few synonyms from the thesaurus or a definition that is inferred or researched on her card. She uses the WOW box to choose words for writing. From her previous copywork, the word was used in a context, and she can use it more appropriately than struggling with a standalone word that was memorized.

Our references this year are for culture, governement, and economic experience ... and to practice cursive writing. Penmanship has come a long way, but practice makes perfect. :D I would typically choose more selections from philosophers for older grades. I tried to keep a great deal of it simple.

As well, it is great to imprint writing style too, when you choose literature selections that are rich and complex. For example, I had my hs'er copy essays from Thoreau and Emerson, as well as speeches from JFK and MLK.

Let's not forget that copying is the oldest style of teaching too. Children are great models of what they see and hear.

I like that, but I want cursive writing and no narration. We narrate in science and fact list memory cards for MOH. I want straight up, no holds bar copywork.

Thank you for linking. I wish I had had this link 2 years ago. :D This is a nice way to incoporate summary and narration for writing and grammar without many differentiations in content.