Menu

Omnibus- theological question

We are considering Omnibus (via Veritas Scholars Academy online) for our will-be 14 year old next year. I've read that it is Reformed in their viewpoint, but what does that exactly mean? We are reformed in that we believe in election/predestination, but we are definitely pre-mil and dispensational.

Does Omnibus get into aspects of covenant theology (the church is Israel, end times related things, etc.) that might be against our beliefs? Or is it reformed only in talking about election?

Thanks!

We are "reformed" too (I prefer to use "Doctrines of Grace" as a way to describe my theology since I disagree with Calvin on many things) and are pre-mil and dispensational as well. I have Omnibus II but haven't actually used it yet. I have read much of it and researched the authors and the main thing I have difficulty with is the constant emphasis on "taking dominion" which I associate directly to their post-mil eschatology. However, I was prepared to overlook that since I really do like it otherwise - differences of pov can be useful in opening up discussion and helping a student understand why his church/parents believe what they do.

I liked and agreed with quite a bit of the instructional portion and the questions were rigorous in nature - another plus - but I really did not appreciate the constant references to learning in order to take dominion and influence culture. As a Baptist who understands church history in a much different way than the typical "early NT church becoming the Roman Catholic Church which in turn was reformed by the "reformers" of the 16th and 17th centuries," I knew I would be doing a lot of tweaking and we just have too much else to cover this year to make that look appealing.

I have not seen any of the other Omnibus volumes so can't help you on them. I decided early on this year that we would not be using Omnibus II simply because I overscheduled ds15 and he is not interested enough in the books to squeeze it in. He is also doing Notgrass World history and LLftLOTR, so adding Omnibus was just too much. (I bought this particular volume of Omnibus because it covered the LOTR books and thought ds might find another pov interesting and because the setting of LOTR resembles the Middle Ages.