Menu

Do you think teaching creative writing helps with lit analysis?

This is just a thought I had lately.

We've never formally done creative writing. We've done several progym ex. and mostly the kids' writing has been about what they read (ala WTM). After doing this all year I think they're tired of it.

They do struggle to "find themes" or analyze lit on a structural level (ie. not just the plot, but elements such as theme, voice, etc.). I was wondering if a program like Writing Strands, which includes different types of writing, might help.

Maybe crafting the different elements of fiction would help them see them better in their reading??

Do other kids get tired of only writing in a "book report" or analytical style? It seems WTM, and others recommend mainly writing expositorily as a way to prepare for college (although I suppose WTM does recommend Writing Strands).

Well, I am not sure on this one. I know that literary anaylsis helps creative writing. When you analyze literature you are taking it apart, so to say, and looking at all the parts that make up the whole. You are able to see all the devices the author used to create the story, build tension, etc. Hopefully that translates into incorporating those devices into your own creative writing.

That said, I just bought The One Year Adventure Novel, as a break from the regular writing routine and am hoping that since it is a very detailed look at how to put a book together it will aid in being able to notice the same tools authors use to write "real" books. I'll have to get back to you on that as we just started using it.

Do your kids like to make videos? Writing a screenplay for a short story or short novel - something they are very familiar with - is also a way to "analyze" literature. When the screenplay is written and the movie is then filmed, it enables the student to see the literary elements that went into making the story enjoyable. This would be the "putting together" or creative part similar to writing a story.

Creative writing and literary analysis are different disciplines. One will not necessarily help the other and, in my experience, analysis can be detrimental to good creative writing.

Analyzing while you write is a quick way towards writer's block or, worse, preaching (as from a soap box).

I don't think you can assume a direct correlation. Some types of learners may see lit analysis improvement from studying creative writing, ie: experiencing how a story is put together helps them to then pull one back apart. A concrete, parts to whole learner may benefit from this type of activity. Not every student learns this way though. It is only one learning preference. The same sort of scenario has been discussed several times in terms of grammar study. Does grammar analysis make one a better writer. There are diverse opinions on that subject. Again, it may depend on the learning preferences of the student. Because there are many learning styles, I think most students would benefit from approaching writing and lit analysis from as many angles as possible. To me, a high school writing program that includes no creative writing is lopsided, like learning math and grammar, but not art and music. If one is always just applying principals and analyzing without the opportunity to create and to think outside the box (sorry for the cliché) learning can become rather dry. (Now I know there is creativity in math, and I'm not saying there isn't, just as there is order in art, they are merely generalized examples in this instance.)

In other words, try it and see if it helps. It may. If it doesn't what have you lost? Nothing. Your dc have gained a valuable new skill and hopefully been re-awaked in their love of learning.

Gee, that's an interesting thought! Could be... What seems to be working for us: wide variety of critical thinking puzzles to help make connections and "think outside of the box"; some basic logic (Fallacy Detective); we discuss/dissect movies (I was a film major); and we learned about 40 literary terms by going through the book "Figuratively Speaking". Other than that, we just read aloud and discuss a lot. : ) The conversations sort of seem to grow in depth over the years. : )

We loved Teaching The Classics. It is a teaching DVD, that talks about how to find theme, conflict, story climax, etc. It was rather spendy, but well worth it. THis was an area my son struggled with, but after the DVD he not only got it, he enjoyed finding themes. It is a general , how to use method for all books. On their website, you can also buy guides for individual books. The website is http://www.centerforlit.com

Cedarmom