Menu

Our first day of Aquinas Learning

Faithr

For any Catholics interested, I thought I'd share. I've been part of a team setting up a new Aquinas Learning Center. We had our first day on Thursday and it went really well!

We started working back in March when myself and this other couple met at a talk given by Rosario Reilly on this program which is kind of a Catholic answer to Classical Conversations (though it is based on the CIRCE understanding of classical ed, rather than maybe Dorothy L. Sayers'/neo-classical understanding).

Anyway, it was tough finding space to meet and then Rosario was writing Cycle 3 up until the very last minute so changes were coming through and well, it was very confusing! It really is a beta program right now. This year she'll have completed the 3rd cycle so now at least the foundation is completely laid down and we can start over with cycle 1 next year.

So with all the stress, confusion, etc we finally had our first day and it went splendidly! I am so excited about it.

My dd who is 5th grade, loved it and immediately came home and did her IEW homework and cursive practice. I really did this for her. She's been unschooled her whole life and therefore she is enamored with the idea of school. (the grass is always greener!). She loves having a uniform, having a teacher, having a backpack full of school supplies and having homework! Of course this is just one day a week.

What I really like about AL is that it really is a complete curriculum except for math and maybe phonics instruction, but everything else is covered. It is sort of the perfect balance between structure and accountability and freedom to go at your own pace and do things your own way as a homeschooling family.

I think I sound like an advertisement for this program! Sorry! I'm typing really fast cuz I gotta run, but I thought maybe some folks here would appreciate hearing about it.

• Like 1

• 9 years later...
On 9/17/2011 at 2:46 PM, Faithr said:

For any Catholics interested, I thought I'd share. I've been part of a team setting up a new Aquinas Learning Center. We had our first day on Thursday and it went really well!

We started working back in March when myself and this other couple met at a talk given by Rosario Reilly on this program which is kind of a Catholic answer to Classical Conversations (though it is based on the CIRCE understanding of classical ed, rather than maybe Dorothy L. Sayers'/neo-classical understanding).

Anyway, it was tough finding space to meet and then Rosario was writing Cycle 3 up until the very last minute so changes were coming through and well, it was very confusing! It really is a beta program right now. This year she'll have completed the 3rd cycle so now at least the foundation is completely laid down and we can start over with cycle 1 next year.

So with all the stress, confusion, etc we finally had our first day and it went splendidly! I am so excited about it.

My dd who is 5th grade, loved it and immediately came home and did her IEW homework and cursive practice. I really did this for her. She's been unschooled her whole life and therefore she is enamored with the idea of school. (the grass is always greener!). She loves having a uniform, having a teacher, having a backpack full of school supplies and having homework! Of course this is just one day a week.

What I really like about AL is that it really is a complete curriculum except for math and maybe phonics instruction, but everything else is covered. It is sort of the perfect balance between structure and accountability and freedom to go at your own pace and do things your own way as a homeschooling family.

I think I sound like an advertisement for this program! Sorry! I'm typing really fast cuz I gotta run, but I thought maybe some folks here would appreciate hearing about it.

Thank you, how do you find this  curriculum? any reviews? Why is it so hard to find reviews for Aquinas Learning?  Why is it so unpopular? Looking through their site i think it is a great  curriculum but then again i am new to homeschooling ...