Menu

Saxon edition question- (I don't think it's the homeschool editions)

A friend of mine has the Saxon 5/4 and wants to use it this year. It is the hard back edition and says 7th printing inside. There is nothing that says what edition. (actually, in black marker on the inside cover is written "1997 edition")

Is this the book made for the public schools?

Will she have any problems using this in her homeschool?

The only difference I noticed was there wasn't the mental math part in the beginning, and I didn't see any investigations. Is this the only difference?

She doesn't have any work pages yet; just the student and teacher books. ex: times math facts, tests, investigation worksheets.

Thanks!

Edited by Clover11

Usually if the edition isn't listed in the book, it's the first edition. You can usually find the more current editions used for not too much. I think the mental math and facts practice sections are really important at the younger ages, and to me it would be worth it to find a newer set, or to buy one if you'll have others using it as well. I don't know if the text you have references the lesson numbers for each of the problem sets, but the more recent ones do - and that's helpful too.