Menu

Classical Education Charter Schools?

Guest tag_imnida

Guest tag_imnida

Currently, I have a 2nd grader and a 3 yr old. My 2nd grader attends a public school right now, but I am considering other options and I am very attracted to the classical approach. I traveled to Oregon this summer to visit my parents and family and discovered a classical charter school that one of my friends' children are attending. I live in Kansas and when I came home I began to wonder if we couldn't do something similar in our Western KS town. The Oregon charter school has a combination of one school day a week with a traditional classroom/teacher-led activities. Then the rest of the week is home-linked (homeschool essentially) with connections between the charter school and public school resources such as sports, special ed, etc... as it is a part of the public school district. Have you seen this sort of public school district classical home-linked approach used? I could see myself championing this cause but would like to know how others have done this in their communities.

Guest tag_imnida

@thescrappyhomeschooler,

Do you think she would be ok if I contacted her? If you/she feels comfortable I would love to email a little to ask a few questions. Can pm me. Thank you!

These are in Kansas:

Cair Paravel Latin School

635 SW Clay Street, Topeka, KS 66606-1431

(785) 232-3878 FAX: (785) 232-0047

Email: Information

DOM: 5/95 - Charter

Grades: K-12 (300 students)

Classical School of Wichita

6355 Willowbrook, Wichita, KS 67218

(316) 773-9279 FAX: (316) 942-3291

Contact: Mr. Justin Kenas and Mr. Keith Saare, Superintendents

DOM: 3/06 - member

Grades: K-12 (144 students)

Veritas Christian School

256 N. Michigan, Lawrence, KS 66044

(785) 749-0083 FAX: (785) 749-0580

DOM: 5/98 - Member

Grades: K-12 (147 students)

The Association of Classical and Christian Schools has a page that lists schools by state.

You'd have to look at your state law regarding charter schools. Because charter school laws are individual to each state, I'd recommend first contacting the schools in Kansas.

My dd was a part of two different charter schools in Colorado. One called itself a "back to basics"; the other, a classical school. We loved them; they were far and above the public schools and suited our family well at the time.

Guest tag_imnida

Excellent material to follow up on! I have looked extensively at the charter school info in Kansas. I didn't see any of the schools listed above, so they are probably private and expensive, but will follow up to make sure. So far, almost all of the Kansas charter schools are vo-tech or online based so they're not terribly creative in nature. They come and go quickly, so I am betting that they are often ones that don't impact the quality of education. Only a public school district may enable a charter school in our state, so that limits it a bit. Before I go to my close contacts with the school district I wanted to learn all I could so that I came across professionally.

We really want the interface with the community at large, but also want more influence as parents and a family in our sons' education. I loved the Charter school in Oregon's approach as it combined a state accredited teacher (who makes the lesson plans and keeps it in check with state standards), but also empowers and equips the parents to do much of the teaching. Here is the website to the Oregon school if anyone is interested: http://www.aceclassicaled.org/ It looked to me as if it began as a homeschooling group co-op who also reached at-risk students and then they had such a great foundation they were able to build on that by becoming a charter school.