Menu

2nd and 5th Graders Year..am I hitting it all..?

DragonflyAcademy

Ok

Constrictive Criticisms requested.. :)

Sometime (cough..usually) I tend to OVER schedule subjects.. I have a hard time "letting things go" and always worry that I'm short changing the kids.. It doesn't help that I am often on the receiving end of comments from non homeschooling families that cannot imagine my children are actually learning anything..

So.. I've redone our year..and I'd like some input..Am I hitting everything that should be covered? Am I over scheduling areas? Under Scheduling areas?

Keeping in mind that some work has to be independent as I have a preschooler (with whom I do preschool work with.. letters, crafts, read aloud etc ) and will soon have a toddler joining the family..

2nd grader:

Math: Teaching Textbooks 3

Science: Elemental Science Biology Grammar Stage

History: Combined with 5th Grader STOW 3 with American History/American Indian Sub focus (State History at the end of the year as required by our State)

Grammar: Growing With Grammar level 2

Spelling: Growing With Spelling level 2

Writing: Growing With Writing level 2

LA: WWE 1, Leveled Readers read aloud to me

Bible: TGS 1

5th Grader:

Math: Teaching Textbooks 6

Science: Elemental Science Biology Logic Stage

History (Same as the 2nd grader)

Grammar: Growing With Grammar level 5

Spelling: Growing With Spelling level 5

Writing: Growing With Writing level 5

LA: WWE 4?, Literature tied to History units, Advanced language Lessons 1

Bible: TGS 1

They both do Art projects as well.. we study different Masters and do works of art based on them throughout the year, each child has a subscription to Mark Kissler's online program and they watch one of those ever week or so and do a drawing.

Music, both take piano lessons and do piano theory and we are also studying the orchestra, periods of music and different composers throughout the year..

I dropped ETC for both kids.. Do I need to add in EPS Reading Comprehension workbooks? I do have the 5th grader summarize each chapter of the books he is reading for school on a special bookmark that I made for him.. as book reports at the end of the book overwhelmed him.. but writing a short summary after each chapter does not.

Also.. I'm thinking of pushing ALL to next year.. and focusing on getting the 5th grader's dictation skills up to level.....

I also wanted to do All About Spelling for the phonograms/spelling rules for both kids.. Too much?? OK to add in?

I know that I'm not hitting a foreign language right now..Maybe Chinese so they can talk to their little sister when she comes.. :001_smile: the library has a nice online program for that..

Edited by ChantyD3