Menu

ETC Spelling

engu

5DD has completed ETC book 2. By this stage is she expected to be able to spell phonetically? I ask because I saw the post test at the back of the book which looks like a spelling test. I don't have the teachers guidebook so I don't really know if spelling is incorporated with the lessons.

I think yes, the expectation is that the student should be able to both read and write words that follow the patterns introduced in that level. For instance, by the end of book 1, the students have encountered all of the consonants and short vowels. So they should be able to both read and spell any CVC or VC word... even if they haven't seen it. So they should do fine with 'mad' and 'hat' and 'at'. They'd probably spell all words as if they followed the patterns they know... so I'd expect something like "I luv buks." for "I love books." and that's probably fine.

That said, a lot of kids may be stronger with the reading than the writing at first since it's a difference of receptive rather than productive skills... just like listening vs speaking (in the same way that toddlers or second language speakers will often understand more than they can speak.)

I think this may be the case wtih dd. She's a good reader, but she's very reluctant to work on her spelling. As for

her spelling accuracy it's a bit of a hit and miss. Generally I have no concerns for her ability to decode, and given

enough 'hint' she'll decode and spell something right.

Should I be concerned? Should I get her to move ahead to book 3, or repeat but do book 2.5? What should my approach be

to spelling given where she's at at the moment?

I've been giving this a lot of thought, because my dd's reading is also good (we're in ETC3) but her spelling is still kind of lousy. Not even phonetic. So I decided that BEFORE we come to the "mini-test" at the end of each lesson, I'm going to also do a more traditional spelling test (from dictation) with her. No matter how well she does during the lessons, she makes lots of mistakes on mini-tests (the page where it shows the pictures, with blank lines to write the words on), so obviously, something's not happening.

We love ETC and just switched back from SW, so I'm going to do what I can to make it work as phonics AND spelling. :-)

I think this may be the case wtih dd. She's a good reader, but she's very reluctant to work on her spelling. As for

her spelling accuracy it's a bit of a hit and miss. Generally I have no concerns for her ability to decode, and given

enough 'hint' she'll decode and spell something right.

Should I be concerned? Should I get her to move ahead to book 3, or repeat but do book 2.5? What should my approach be

to spelling given where she's at at the moment?

I would not be concerned. A 5 year old who is reading and writing in any way is already ahead of the curve. I wouldn't expect accurate spelling out of any 5 year old. That said, I'd be inclined to do book 2.5 anyway. There's a jump in expectations after level 3 and unless she's deathly bored, I'd keep her working with short vowels for a little longer so she doesn't hit that before she's ready. She's got plenty of time and an extra month or two working with easier words might be a good idea.

I've been giving this a lot of thought, because my dd's reading is also good (we're in ETC3) but her spelling is still kind of lousy. Not even phonetic. So I decided that BEFORE we come to the "mini-test" at the end of each lesson, I'm going to also do a more traditional spelling test (from dictation) with her. No matter how well she does during the lessons, she makes lots of mistakes on mini-tests (the page where it shows the pictures, with blank lines to write the words on), so obviously, something's not happening.

We love ETC and just switched back from SW, so I'm going to do what I can to make it work as phonics AND spelling. :-)

I've been having doubts about the mini-tests as well, and I've decided to skip them. DD will only do 1-2 words before she starts to whine and complain, which really gets on my nerves. So for my own sanity and hers, we just skip it and try to ignore it (it's the best I can do at this point). But I'm :bigear: to listen to any suggestions.

I would not be concerned. A 5 year old who is reading and writing in any way is already ahead of the curve. I wouldn't expect accurate spelling out of any 5 year old. That said, I'd be inclined to do book 2.5 anyway. There's a jump in expectations after level 3 and unless she's deathly bored, I'd keep her working with short vowels for a little longer so she doesn't hit that before she's ready. She's got plenty of time and an extra month or two working with easier words might be a good idea.

I don't mind doing book 2.5, but like Jay3fer I like to "make it work as phonics AND spelling". But you're right in saying that it's a lot to ask of a 5yo, since she only started to write her abc's several months ago. Am I getting too push here :glare:???

I had hoped the spelling would sink in from ETC, but that's not been our experience here. We've started a separate spelling program as a result. Oh well. I'm sure it works for some kids, but if I held mine back from doing the reading skills they need just so their spelling could catch up, that would take forever, so I gave up trying.