Menu

Question regarding credits for English

dd13 is in 8th this year but I've been trying to map out her high school schedule and I need some help with determining what would constitute a full credit for English and what would need to be added to constitute an Honors or AP credit. I'm also not sure what to use for grammar in 11th and 12th, nor am I sure if I need to use a separate writing in 12th. If it matters...she will be taking Spanish all four years and will be doing some type of logic, although I haven't researched that completely.

This is what I have on paper right now:

9th -

R&S\ 7

Excellence in Literature\ Composition and Literature (this has honors book choices)

IEW\Life Science-Based Writing Lessons

10th -

R&S\ 8

EIL\World Literature (this has honors book choices) plus she will have literature from World History

IEW\High School Essay Intensive

11th -

Not sure what to do for grammar here...suggestions? Do I need separate grammar at this point?

EIL\American Literature (this has honors book choices) plus she will have literature from American History.

IEW\Advanced Communication Series

12th -

Not sure what to do for grammar here...

EIL\British Literature (this has honors book choices)

Not sure about separate writing program here? She will be taking Advanced Biology and Calculus so I'd like English to be light this year.

Oh, I forgot to ask if I need to add a vocab program to this line-up?

Just to reiterate...I'm just wanting to be sure that I'm looking at solid credits for English, and if I could make these into AP English by adding anything. I also need help determining what to do about grammar in 11th and 12th, and if I need a separate writing program in 12th. TIA.

After R&S 8 you don't need any more grammar unless she struggles with it or you feel that you need a review. You don't need a separate writing program if the basics are down well, but can work on that with the essays for literature. In order to get enough credits you simply need to cover enough literature with writing, analysis, etc.

That said, if you have a student who eschews literary analysis and who wants to go into math, science, etc, then you could do R&S 9 & 10 and/or a writing program to make up part of your credit hours. I can't remember the grammar dd was going to do as I expelled her from homeschool in the fall of her sophomore year. In our case, it was a good decision and she's much, much happier and the rest of us are less stressed out. However, I'm still hoping that either my 13 yo will come home next year or that my ds will homeschool for high school, so I still have my curricula for grades 9 & 10.